[Solved] Exceeded The Max Emails Per Hour (1) Allowed

condell

I have not used my email account for 5 days.

So today I send out 7 emails, first one is sent, the others all trigger a mail not delivered email back to my account stating that I have exceeded the maximum emails 1 allowed per hour!

I havent had this problem since joining heliohost a few months ago.

I tried another email account on the same domain, and had the same error.

User: condell

Server: Stevie

Domain: condell.com.au

Main email address: murray@condell.com.au

Secondary: drinks@condell.com.au

Dont think I've ever sent anywhere near 50 emails out on any day.

Quick assistance needed! (Sorry, couldnt work out how to post on Customer Service forum, not allowed or wrong forum heading).

Odd that you couldn't post it. What domains are you sending the emails to? No need to post the entire address, just the domain. We've had some issues with particular domains before. Also, a copy of the email you receive in response would help as well.

It is now a week later (away and ill), and I just tried to send 3 emails, 2 were returned with mail not delivered messages.

So I am still restricted to just 1 email an hour! :angry:

It does seem that its more than 1 email an hour outgoing which is tripping the problem, not who I am sending to.

The domain names sent to include:

• engineersaustralia.org.au
  • latrobe.edu.au
  • hotmail.com
  • gmail.com

...so its affecting a range of domains, all of which I've emailed successfuly for 2 decades.

This is my main business email address, so your URGENT help will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Example of Mail Delivery Failed EMail:

From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@stevie.heliohost.org>

To: murray@condell.com.au

Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

murray.purkiss@gmail.com

Domain condell.com.au has exceeded the max emails per hour (1) allowed. Message discarded.

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <murray@condell.com.au>

Received: from pa49-184-104-142.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au ([49.184.104.142] helo=Condell04.condell.com.au)

by stevie.heliohost.org with esmtpsa (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)

(Exim 4.69)

(envelope-from <murray@condell.com.au>)

id 1VWZh4-00030a-92

for murray.purkiss@gmail.com; Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:35:30 -0700

X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 7.1.0.9

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:34:40 +1100

To: murray.purkiss@gmail.com

Subject: Test

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

Test

We recommend users send no more than 50 emails total per day from their accounts. If you greatly exceed this value the system automatically throttles your account to 24 emails per day (1 per hour). The most common reason for accounts to get email throttled is from not implementing adequate spam bot protection on your website. For instance, if you have a forum that sends an email each time a new user creates and account, and 1000 spam bots create accounts each day that's 1000 emails your account is sending out each day.

It took me about 10 seconds to find this http://condellprojex.org/elgg/

Your account has attempted to send 2959 emails in the last 89 hours. That's nearly 800 emails per day, which is much higher than the recommended 50 per day.

If you think you have your spambot/email problem under control please post again on this thread and I can reset your account to the default email sending values. Let us know if you need any additional help solving this issue.

• Like 1

Krydos

I'm embarassed!

Had no idea. I've removed/unistalled completely the Elgg installation- I was only exploring it for future use.

Q1. Could I have protected the entire driectory condellprojex.org/elgg as a means of stopping spam bots while trying Elgg out?

Q2. Where could I have seen that my account tried to send so many emails in a period of time? Curious (and so I can learn....)

Q3. Can you restore the normal email limits now?

I dont recall seeing anything about email limits in any of the basic info or FAQ about Heliohost, might help others.

I would not normally send 50 emails a day, so should be ok once you restore my sending rights.

Thanks for pointing out my error.

I've removed all the Softaliscious installations I am not currently using. The rest I have locked behind protected directories.

If Support could answer my 3 questions in my previous post above, that would be great.

...forgot to add, that I really should move my experiments with Softalicisious programs to Johhny server and leave Stevie for my stable interests....

Will do so after we get my Condell account moving again.

See ALL above in previous posts...

Ok, answered my own Q2, found the errant emails under File Mgr under "new" folder but wasnt linked to a mailbox I had...so I've emptied it and seems like no new ones filling it up

Good sign its fixed. As I deleted the Elgg installation completely.

Q1 and Q3 above???