[Solved] Restoring Full Backup After Site Move?

rhcplive

Hello,

I recently decided I want to move my website from Johnny to Stevie. However, before deleting my current account, I want to know if you are able to restore full cPanel backups - from what I can understand, that can only be done if you have root access to the server. If you can't do that, what alternative for generating (and restoring) full site backups do I have?

I was able to unzip a tar backup that was generated by the cPanel the other day without any problems. Just take the full backup to the cpanel file manager and use the cpanel option to unzip the file. Everything should unload just like it was on the stevie server. If it doesn't, post back and somebody will help you. btw, all this was done with out root access.

Just incase your unfamiliar with the file manage unzipping process see the attachment. Just highlight the backup file and click Extract near the top of the file manager.

Your right it doesn't unpack like you'd want it to. Sorry for the bad advice. It must have just been a plan zip of a persons public_html that I unzipped that way. There's an option in the Backup Wizard at your cpanel that will let you upload and unzip your Home Directory, your MySQL and your Mail. You'd need to ungzip the backup on your machine so you could get to the separate backups though. I haven't tried it yet but I'm fixing to too see how it works.

Full backups cannot be restored automatically as a whole, but you can manually pull them apart and restore the portions that matter. Full backups contain ALL of the settings from your account, including disk quotas, parked domains, addon domains, email quotas, and every other possible setting you can imagine. As such they are very dangerous to restore because if you don't trust the source of the backup they could very easily contain malicious settings. This is why cPanel warns you that they cannot be restored automatically. They aren't completely useless though.

If you're trying to restore a mysql database extract backup-10.8.2013_rhcplive/mysql/rhcplive_database.sql and then you can create the new database through cpanel, and restore the .sql file through phpmyadmin. Byron already explained how to upload and extract your home directory structure. You won't be able to automatically recreate any domains, and other settings that you may have had, but if you explore your full backup it might help remind you of what settings you need to manually copy over to your new account.

Let us know if you need further assistance.