DOS

• 1 month later...

I still use dos for many things, if that is the same thing that the command prompt is. I actually use it to do my FTP'ing and to ping client websites and stuff like that. It is like ya'll have said much more stable, and I am actually thinking about getting a pc that has just dos on it. What do ya'll think?

• 1 month later...

Linux is just as secure as DOS(if not more) I don't see why anyone would get a DOS only computer in this age but there are some thngs it's useful for.

• 2 weeks later...
Well DOS is mostly used by professionals as there are alot of commands needed to be learnt before operating it and it is also not user friendly. Mostly used in Java and Programming. -_-

I use DOSBox on Linux, so I can play the old classic games, such as Jazz Jackrabbit, Prince of Persia, and the Hugo games. :P

And the command prompt on Windows XP isn't DOS.. It's a command prompt. That's what Windows would be if it had no GUI. You can run DOS text based apps there though, aswell as Windows XP text based apps. You can also run DOS non-text based apps by right clicking on the file, properties, then compatability, changing it to run using the DOS kernel. DOS was the kernel that Windows 95 and (I think) 98 used.