Are torrents legal?

surfcss

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say the technology is legal.. but basically all its content includes pirated software. So is downloading pirated software via torrents legal, seeing the technology is legal. :huh:

I doubt it. If software that is meant to be purchased or licensed to be purchased is being put out for download (whatever platform is being used) is Illegal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Basically when file sharing is there, even using p2p software, people can transfer anything directly from one pc to another pc, so most people prefer to transfer stuff that is illegal.

In my opinion the p2p software and the torrents are only popular because they promote the spreading of pirated software and files, and is easy accessible to the people.

It's technically legal, when you buy a product such as a song/program etc. you are actually buying a license to use that software, therefore you are allowed to d/l it or upload it to someone who already has bought the product.

This is helpful in the event that you broke the CD, or your comp crashed or whatever. But the truth is that very few people use p2p for legal purposes.

I, however don't thin they should be able to monitor our computers to see if we our d/l illegal files, soon they will be monitoring everything we do.

But usually people just download it even when they don't own it. The software company should keep this license key registration online and allow only one person per license key.

You cant police that idea - it just isnt practical or they would have done it already.

The program itself is a great idea. You download Linux via torrents, and that's legal. Perhaps you should have a system where when you bought something, it required certain files off of a CD or DVD. Inconvenient, but it works for games.

torrents are illegal here in thailand...they've blocked basically every torrent site there is...

(anyone know a workaround? heh heh)

there isnt a way around that. they most likely using your ip address as an identifier, which states that you are from thailand. erhh go, you can not bypass your originating ip address

torrents are illegal here in thailand...they've blocked basically every torrent site there is...

(anyone know a workaround? heh heh)

there isnt a way around that. they most likely using your ip address as an identifier, which states that you are from thailand. erhh go, you can not bypass your originating ip address

thanks for the help...although i am feeling sad and hopeless now...

ah well, i still have limewire! haha, not as great, but good enough for now i guess...