[Answered] Unused Jsp

Shinryuu

So I was just wondering how we're going to handle that, I looked at the Java Requests forum pages 3 and 4 and found a few pages with just a simple hello world or other one-line output, Tomcat 404's, and some Suspended and deleted pages. Are you guys going to set an inactivity period for disabling JAVA or something? I think after 1/4th of a year passes if there's no usage of JAVA on an account that has it enabled then there's slim chance it'll ever be functional and should be disabled to give Johnny a better chance at running without issues.

I assume deleted accounts don't affect anything since they're no longer on the server, but the experimental JSP's that haven't been used in a while are sitting there using extra CPU cycles having a JVM running. This doesn't affect me at all as I'm not on Johnny, but Johnny's recent fall caused a lot of pandemonium amongst customers and anything done to further manage risks would probably be a good idea.

Did you read this?

Also we will be automatically removing java support from all accounts that become suspended due to inactivity. As a reminder, if you don't log into your account at least once every 30 days it will be flagged as inactive.

The number of accounts with java enabled was once again getting dangerously close to the maximum that the server could support, but since inactivity suspensions were enabled last night at midnight the number of accounts with java enabled has already dropped by about 35%. We have considered creating some sort of script that would keep track of which accounts were actively using java so we could remove it from an account that was active but haven't done anything with it to make room for people who would actually use it, but for now java being removed from accounts that are suspended for inactivity seems to be keeping the number at a reasonable level. It's definitely a valid concern though.

EDIT:

Between when I started typing this post and when I clicked submit more accounts were suspended and even more java was removed so it's down about 43% now, and one new person requested java. ^_^