[Answered] 20 Minute Ban Whenever Running Transfer

techguy5

Okay, so this has happened twice now. I was transferring a large mass of files via my FTP into my site, and then, disconnect. So i try reconnecting. Nothing. I go online to Heliohost's chat, and was told by an admin that my account was banned for 20 minutes because I apparently had 60 connections from the same IP address. He told me it's likely just a fluke. So I go again, no big transferring for a while. Then, I run another large transfer: Same problem.

What's going on?? I can't keep waiting these 20 minute bans out!

If you really had 60 concurrent connections to the server then for the start maybe try to limit number of simultaneous connections in your FTP client. This may be (or may not be) the case that indeed you had so many connections while transferring your files.

How do I do that? I'm not convinced that it really is 60 concurrect connections, but something's tripping the server's lock, and I need to know what it is. I can't keep getting a lockdown every time I trasnfer anything. I only have 1 FTP client open... should I turn on a speed limit or something?

Happens to me as well, usually when performing software upgrades via FTP. It's extremely frustrating, and causes my maintenance downtime, which should be under 20 minutes for most upgrades I do, to turn into an hour or more. When it happens, FTP kicks me, then Stevie just vanishes for 20 minutes. My website, FTP, and cPanel all just time out.

I'm using FileZilla for my FTP client.

The only thing I haven't tried is using cPanel's file manager instead of FTP for the transfers.

In FileZilla, go to your site manager, select your FTP account, click on Transfer Settings, and select the box that says Limit Number of Simultaneous Connections and set the Maximum Number of Connections to 1.

I have included a screenshot of the settings screen.

post-5971-0-53743300-1340511424_thumb.jpg

So that's where the option is...I'd been wondering if there was a way to do this. I've looked through the program options many times, but never thought to look at the account properties.

Thanks for the info. :) I just changed it.