Stevie Has Been Down On And Off All Day Today As It Is Most Days

stgeorge

I am in the UK

Cleaned all Browsers

Cleared resolver cache

Rebooted.

Chromium:

This web page is not available

Chromium could not load the web page because stevie.heliohost.org took too long to respond. The website may be down or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload this web page later.

Check your Internet connection. Reboot any routers, modems or other network devices that you may be using.

Add Chromium as a permitted programme in your firewall or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted programme, try deleting it from the list of permitted programmes and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure that the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the spanner menu > Preferences > Under the Bonnet > Change Proxy Settings... and make sure that your configuration is set to "no proxy" or "direct".

Opera:

Could not connect to remote server

Check that the address is spelled correctly, or try searching for the site.

Also cannot use quick reply with this Ajax

I was having this problem with:

A static website:

http://cyberstgeorge.co.uk/

A Joomla mySQL Website:

http://thefawkes.co.uk/

cPanel:

http://stevie.heliohost.org:2082/

and FTP

But back up now and these addresses are reachable.

However these sort of issues arise on a daily basis.

Perhaps this is something to do with connection to the UK!

I also noticed there being a cache-ing problem when using Chrome. I'm not sure about Opera or other gecko based browsers (I think Mozilla was pretty good about clearing the cache). Even when I empty'd the Chrome cache it still wasn't loading correctly (I mostly noticed this when I set up my page for the first time).

Krydos, we might want to contact xaav and ashoat and see if the Postgres/Perl updates are negatively effecting the server. I don't think they are, but I suggested they be updated and I would hate to be the reason why Stevie is a little more temperamental.

Actually Opera is in my opinion the best of all the browsers for web design as it can be set to do nothing but treat the page as a new page.

http://thenetweb.co.uk/clear-your-cache-for-webmasters

However I was wondering about Server Caching.

The point is when I did clear all Browser Cache, (I did not really need to with Opera), then cleared the computer resolver, I still could not connect that is why I posted.

There is one other point worth making.

I use PopPeeper to check around 30 e-mail accounts.

Whenever I set up hosting I create an e-mail address for the hosting account.

I have set PopPeeper to check the mail accounts every five minutes.

The HelioHost mail account fails to connect on a regular basis every day, (I get an icon appear for a failed connection).

That is why I have tagged as 'intermittent'.

If I was to keep track of every failed connection, I mentally put it at about five to ten times a day. When I am at the computer.

It would be 'sods law' that visitors hit the site when the connection is down.

Actually Opera is in my opinion the best of all the browsers for web design as it can be set to do nothing but treat the page as a new page.

http://thenetweb.co....-for-webmasters

There are other forms of caching that occur too, but one of the more popular ones that isn't listed at the site is through a proxy. You also have local firewalls that have caching mechanisms built in, but there are many places where cached versions occur. I would also add that just because a browser says its cleared its cache does not make it true, especially since there are a lot of bugs that have been opened around that topic alone.

Finally, I would not say any browser is better for web design, since you should build for your users and the major browsers right now are IE/FF/Safari/Chrome. Opera, while a nice browser, is used by few when compared to the entire population. Now, if your community which you are trying to reach use primarily Opera, then so be it. From a personal perspective, I try to design for all browsers; however, I use FF as my debugging browser.

I take your point that caching can come from many sources.

My point about Opera was not that is better for web design 'per se', but for page loading while you work live.

Actually it can and does have no cache whatsoever when set the way described in the link.

I use it as a portable application in Windows and it is clean while you work.

It is so fast it does not need cache. That includes reloading images.

Of course that does not mean you rely on the Browser to design a website without cross Browser referencing.

Just as the site will need testing using on-line apps for mobiles.

Also I will admit Opera does have limitations with heavy javascripting. So does chrome. But then I try to minimize that type of web design as I do not regards it as good practice for 'Web accessibility'.

As I pointed out earlier, all this talk of cache, although worthy of discussion, is not relevant in the case of the server having intermittent connection as the e-mail clients are constantly failing to connect to Stevie.

No problems with other Servers, just Stevie.

<p> </p>

<div class="post entry-content " style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; color: rgb(40, 40, 40); line-height: 1.6; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; "> </div>

<br />

<p>

</p>

<div class="post entry-content " style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; color: rgb(40' date=' 40, 40); line-height: 1.6; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; ">Krydos, we might want to contact xaav and ashoat and see if the Postgres/Perl updates are negatively effecting the server. I don't think they are, but I suggested they be updated and I would hate to be the reason why Stevie is a little more temperamental. </div>

<div> </div>

<p>[/quote']</p>

<p> </p>

<p>These upgrades have not caused any high load. This problem appears specific to his site, which would not be caused by system-wide upgrades.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@stgeorge Perhaps enable some caching options in joomla to speed up your site.</p>

<p> </p>

<div> </div>

<div class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_74046" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: right; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(90, 90, 90); font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 15px; "> </div>

I am trying to get my head around the idea of all this talk of cache.

It is irrelevant.

I only mentioned it in the first place because for those not used to changing the default settings of browsers to suit and might not realized it can be a problem. Also because with a browser that caches, a server with an intermittent service like Stevie that will basically switch on and off like a light switch, the browser may not cleanly refresh properly. FireFox, Chrome and IE do not, Safari and Opera tend to be more reliable.

@stgeorge Perhaps enable some caching options in joomla to speed up your site.

@ xaav

The reason the cache on the site was turned off and all cache purged was to get an idea what the load speed was like when Stevie was under load. It was dreadfully slow with the Cache on and off.

However in the UK at 8.00 am, the website loaded at the speed your would expect for pages that contain less than 25 elements.

Without Caching, I have now turned cache back on, but it really should not need it.

Besides I moved the static site to another server, loaded like a bullet, but very slow on Stevie.

As for all this talk of cache, can I remind everyone:

There is one other point worth making.

I use PopPeeper to check around 30 e-mail accounts.

Whenever I set up hosting I create an e-mail address for the hosting account.

I have set PopPeeper to check the mail accounts every five minutes.

The HelioHost mail account fails to connect on a regular basis every day, (I get an icon appear for a failed connection).

That is why I have tagged as 'intermittent'.

If I was to keep track of every failed connection, I mentally put it at about five to ten times a day. When I am at the computer.

Brother Hassan, are you on the Stevie or Johnny server? I have not been able to connect to cPanel or ftp for the last 20 minutes at least.

Stevie is OK at the moment, I am connected to cPanel, except that at:

8.00 am GMT page load time was 2 secs

Now at 13.00 GMT page load, with CMS system cache on, is 7 to 8 secs.

I wonder whether more Western users on line or more Eastern users are later birds.