[Solved] Several accounts

izver

Game server? Are you sure it won't use too many server resources?

Also, we cannot allow you to create more than one account on the same server.

However, by special request, we can allow you to host one account on each server (Stevie and Johnny). Would you like to do this?

You can only have 1 account on each server.

But what you could do is make an add-on domain.

This is 2nd site that is hosted from the same account.

You do need an domain available for an add-on domain.

Here is a list where you can get free domains. Make sure you point the Name Servers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org

Game server? Are you sure it won't use too many server resources?

The server is hosted elsewhere. I am just hosting a CMS and a forum on heliohost.

However, by special request, we can allow you to host one account on each server (Stevie and Johnny). Would you like to do this?

Yes, that would be very kind of you. Seeing as how one of the sites is not even mine, I'll just be making it for the organisation. What if they register the account, and I upload the CMS on?

---They already have a domain.

Best regards

iZver

Yes, that would be very kind of you. Seeing as how one of the sites is not even mine, I'll just be making it for the organisation.

Ok, you may now create an account on johnny. Just make sure you use a different email address than you used to create your stevie account.

Yes, that would be very kind of you. Seeing as how one of the sites is not even mine, I'll just be making it for the organisation.

Ok, you may now create an account on johnny. Just make sure you use a different email address than you used to create your stevie account.

Thanks!

But since the daily signup limit has been exceeded on Johnny I cannot register just yet. Is there any rush with registering?

By the way; there was a popup saying johnny is unstable. Is this a real problem?

Cheers!

No, there is no rush. I just removed the blocks that may have prevented you from creating a second account. Once you create your second account on johnny you will be blocked from creating a third account. As long as you don't create your second account it's not like it's going to time out or anything. You can use this tool to monitor when sign-ups reset and whether they are currently available. http://helio.byrondallas.heliohost.org/sign-up.php

Johnny is a more unstable server because he provides .NET and some other services that tend to use more load or may crash occasionally. Most people only need php and mysql so the warning is there to encourage people who only need basic services to create their account on the more stable stevie server. Feel free to take a look at our monitor and compare the stevie to johnny. http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/

This is also why we first suggested creating a parked/addon domain on your current stevie account to host the second website. Each account has 500mb capacity which is more than enough to host several different sites. More information can be found on our wiki article: http://wiki.helionet.org/Parked,_Addon_and_Sub_Domains

This is also why we first suggested creating a parked/addon domain on your current stevie account to host the second website. Each account has 500mb capacity which is more than enough to host several different sites. More information can be found on our wiki article: http://wiki.helionet.org/Parked,_Addon_and_Sub_Domains

Okay, so I might create an addon domain. That said; all I need for the domain to work is set it up in cpanel and point my domain provider to your DNS servers? How can you know I am not just trying to use someone elses URL?

You could, theoretically, try to park any domain that exists or doesn't exist. To make it fairly simple, it's the registrar settings that matter. If you have the registrar nameservers set to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org then when someone tries to access that domain the DNS system knows to come to our servers to look for the data.

If you switch the nameservers for that same domain to some other service, you don't even have to do anything on our servers. Even if we have records for it it won't matter because our servers won't ever receive a request for it.

If you switch a parked domain from stevie account to johnny account you will have to delete it from the stevie account first otherwise it will say that someone already has that configured when you try to set it up on johnny.

I could go try to add google.com as a parked domain on my account as much as I want, but it's never going to change anything on the internet as long as I don't have access to the account that registered it.

How about an analogy? I make a town in a world where there can only be one town of each name. I decide to name it Chicago even though Chicago already exists. I can name my city Chicago, but the street signs all point the way to the real Chicago so no one will ever drive to my city thinking it is the real Chicago because I can't change all the signs on all the streets. Likewise, if I decide to move my city I don't actually have to change the name of the original location. I just need to change all the street signs and everyone that is looking for my city name will follow the signs to where they are supposed to be.