Stevie Timeout

noatakzak

For the last two days, since you've fixed the Stevie problem earlier this week, my website troop3st.heliohost.org (http, ftp, and cpanel) has had intermittent timeout issues, lasting about 10 minutes. then, the website will come back up for a few minutes and go down again. Also, the server monitor is showing no problems while this is happening.

If I were you I would start testing portions of your network. For instance, if you're using a router try doing a continuous ping of the router and then watch the numbers to see if they correspond with the timeouts your seeing on your website. In windows the command might look something like:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

Obviously, your operating system and router might change things up a bit. The -t means to ping continuously and you can hit ctrl-c to stop it (or just close the command prompt box.) 192.168.1.1 can be replaced with whatever your router is.

If your router doesn't seem to be causing any problems then move to the next step.

tracert heliohost.org

What this command does is trace the route that packets from your computer take to reach heliohost. The first hop should be your router (if you're using one) followed by each hop that takes you towards heliohost. You can also replace heliohost.org with stevie.heliohost.org or johnny.heliohost.org depending on which server your account is on.

This trace route only runs once though so if your problem is intermittent you can look at the list and start pinging each step as it moves away from your computer. If the latency ends up NOT being your router but within 3 or 4 hops after that you might need to call your ISP and demand they fix your internet connection. If the latency is towards the end of the route that means hurricane electric or our servers are having the issues. If the latency comes somewhere in the middle there isn't really anything anyone can do because those are the biggest and most major internet hubs, and if it's effecting you it's probably effecting hundreds of thousands of other people. When that happens everyone knows about it almost instantly.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.

I'm also getting a lot of 500 errors, particularly after I upload something in ftp or cpanel. I heard that can mean i'm reaching the limit of 7 processes, and that an administrator can kill my running processes?

Yes, that is what that means.

I just checked and there are no 500 errors showing up right now on your site, and there are zero processes running for your username. Usually when you hit the process cap you just need to wait a few minutes for it to fix itself, but sometimes processes get stuck running for days(weeks/months) and that is when an administrator needs to kill them for you.

Attached is the tracert I ran when the site was down, both in browser and using ping.

Based on that it looks like either huricane electric was having internal issues or the server that your account is on was having high load at the time that you ran that trace route.

By the way, you named this thread 'stevie timeout' but your account is actually on johnny. Keep that in mind when looking at the server monitor etc.

I'm having a lot of problems loading my site/cpanel also. It keeps saying "connection timed out" in Chrome.

Here is a tracert I did in command prompt for heliohost.org:

And here is a tracert to stevie.heliohost.org:

After seeing these screenshots, would you have any idea if it's something to do with my network, heliohost's servers, or something else in the middle? I've tried on other networks, and this same thing happens so I don't think it is do to with the network I'm on.

Also, what is Hurrican Electric? Is it a data center or something?

P.S. Wow... I posted this reply and the system cut off half of it! :( So I had to rewrite the reply and stuff.

After seeing these screenshots, would you have any idea if it's something to do with my network, heliohost's servers, or something else in the middle? I've tried on other networks, and this same thing happens so I don't think it is do to with the network I'm on.

Those tracerts you posted seem to indicate no problems.

HE is one of the biggest internet providers in north america (there are others that may be bigger, he is just *one* of the biggest). They "connect the dots" between smaller internet providers like your ISP.

HE is one of the biggest internet providers in north america (there are others that may be bigger, he is just *one* of the biggest). They "connect the dots" between smaller internet providers like your ISP.

Okay, thanks.

But, Comcast is a pretty big company. Do you just mean the ISP here and not the whole Comcast ISP?

Wow this networking stuff can be a little confusing sometimes... the way the internet works is amazing. (so much servers, etc.)

Hurricane Electric is a datacenter that offers colocation for a servers located in Fremont, United States. It is also an internet service provider and does many handy things like keeping our servers powered, making sure they're connecting to the internet, and fix any power outage as soon as possible and get the server booted again ASAP.

More information at:

http://he.net/

Hurricane Electric is a datacenter that offers colocation for a servers located in Fremont, United States.

That's only one thing they do...

Internet Backbone and Colocation Provider

Wow this networking stuff can be a little confusing sometimes... the way the internet works is amazing. (so much servers, etc.)

In order for the internet to work, ISPs connect to each other (otherwise, you could only access sites on your own ISP). HE is one of the "middleman," allowing some smaller ISPs to connect to many other ISPs.