[Solved] /var full

Guest xaav

Hello,

/var is becoming close to full. This might be because PostgreSQL 9 is installed on that partition. However, /var/lib/mysql is not very full, so you could create a new partition on /var/lib/pgsql, and reduce the size of /var/lib/mysql.

Also, /usr is quite full, so you should clear some things away from that.

EDIT: Cleared up some of it by deleting the 8.0 data folder.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I predicated, var has become full. Since PostgreSQL is installed on that partition, users cannot create databases or insert any data into PostgreSQL any longer.

As you can see here, my drupal 7 test site running on PostgreSQL has crashed.

Username: rocktech

Server: Stevie

Domain: rocktechuae.com

Currently I am unable to receive emails sent on all emails addresses created on my domain. I am facing this problem frequently and I dont receive my important emails for several hours daily. I dont know whether your server is down frequently or what but this delays all my work everyday. Kindly reply and try to solve my problem asap. I will be very very grateful.

Thanks for your continous support.

-Omair

Hello,

I am currently unable to send any email from my account. I have successfully sent and received email in the past using Thunderbird, but for the past several hours I have gotten the following error when trying to send email:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Unexpected failure, please try later.

I connected to Squirrelmail via cPanel and got the following error when trying to send mail:

Message not sent. Server replied:

Service not available, closing channel

421 Unexpected failure, please try later

I tried sending a test message from another email account to see if I can receive email; I have not gotten a bounce message, but equally that message has not yet been delivered to my email on heliohost (which is usually pretty instantaneous), so I think I am not properly receiving email either.

My username is aimsul, domain aimsul.org and I am on Stevie. All my www stuff appears to be working just fine, it is only the mail which seems to be down.

Thank you for your help and for this great resource which you are providing.

This may be due to our frequently down DNS servers.

Still cant receive my emails :( Any idea when this problem will be solved and will it be solved permanently? My emails are very important and these delays create a lot of problem. I need your suggestion.

Hmm... yeah it looks like PgSQL databases are taking up more space than I expected. Perhaps we should rip a chunk out of sda7 (/home) and use it for /var/lib/pgsql? This will involve a good chunk of downtime.

I was able to successfully send an email from an email account on stevie, as well as receive an email to that stevie account. I also checked spamhaus and stevie's IP is no longer listed there.

Please let us know if anyone is still having email issues on stevie.

I think we have way too many partitions on stevie, I think we should instead have fewer partitions like what we have on johnny. If we had not separated the /var and /var/lib/mysql partitions, this wouldn't be an issue. Right now, it appears the only option is to do what is posted above, if we don't we'll have to disable PostgreSQL on stevie.