[Solved] Can't install JSON:XS module for Perl

vol7ron

I'm generally on IRC, but I won't notice your message unless you type my username in your message or if you /msg me. My username is "ashoat" (my first name).

We definitely can't upgrade our install of Perl. I tried this once and ran into a lot of difficulties since cPanel is mostly written in Perl. If there was a way to install a newer version side-by-side then I'd be up for that, but I wasn't able to do it last time (if I recall correctly).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm generally on IRC, but I won't notice your message unless you type my username in your message or if you /msg me. My username is "ashoat" (my first name).

We definitely can't upgrade our install of Perl. I tried this once and ran into a lot of difficulties since cPanel is mostly written in Perl. If there was a way to install a newer version side-by-side then I'd be up for that, but I wasn't able to do it last time (if I recall correctly).

This is interesting, since I would think that Perl would be mostly backwards compatible.

To recap what I said in IRC, I think it's possible to run parallel versions of Perl, but users will need to point to that interpreter on the shebang (#!/newpath/perl). If you need me to look into this, I can.

How about the PostgreSQL, is it possible to upgrade that that? I wouldn't think there's that many users using it because it's not as popular as MySQL, but I like it so much more.

cheers,

vol7ron

Guest Geoff

First of all, see http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=7885 . I would actually still love to see it installed, but we're afraid of overloading the server. If you have anything to add to that, go ahead.

If you need me to look into this, I can.

That would be great! I know we have multiple python versions installed; we may be able to do the same thing for perl.

First of all, see http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=7885 . I would actually still love to see it installed, but we're afraid of overloading the server. If you have anything to add to that, go ahead.

If you need me to look into this, I can.

That would be great! I know we have multiple python versions installed; we may be able to do the same thing for perl.

At work we use multiple versions of perl. Everything on the web says to just install to a new directory and it should be good. I doubt that it would impact the server, so long as the environment paths still point to the route. Just let users know that there is a newer version available at something like /opt/bin/perl (instead of /usr/bin/perl)

This answer seems to direct the Configure on the command line (I'm not sure who has the ability to ssh and do it, though): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1289564...1291271#1291271

As for overloading the server, I also doubt it'll do that. I think users submitting bad code is more likely to do that than anything else, but that's for any language, including Python and PHP. Having more than one interpreter shouldn't matter too much, instead of using the one, they'll use the other.

As for overloading the server, I also doubt it'll do that. I think users submitting bad code is more likely to do that than anything else, but that's for any language, including Python and PHP. Having more than one interpreter shouldn't matter too much, instead of using the one, they'll use the other.

I was talking about upgrading postgresql, not installing another version of perl.

I was talking about upgrading postgresql, not installing another version of perl.

That's a good question. I don't know the specifics about the current usage to be able to talk about what the upgrade may see. You might have more people attracted to the newer version versus MySQL. I do notice that the autovacuum is off, which you should turn on (on by default in 8.4+), as it will reduce storage space and increase performance. Also, the newer features and query optimizations in the newer engine means the system will use less resources, not more.

Currently there are 15446 users, but I don't know how many of those are active.

Guest Geoff (Xaav)

We're waiting on djbob to respond to the pending escalated requests. We need his permission to perform any major action on the server.

Geoff: are you up for trying to install a newer version of Perl side-by-side with our current one? If so, give it a go (and make sure you don't break things, of course...) :)

An additional version of PostgreSQL has failed in the past. It's a harder problem since you'll have to be running two daemons...

Geoff: are you up for trying to install a newer version of Perl side-by-side with our current one? If so, give it a go (and make sure you don't break things, of course...)

No, I was talking about upgrading PostgreSQL.

@vol7ron If you could find some helpful instructions to upgrade our version (8.1) to a newer version (preferably 9.0), the would be great!

I'll install a newer perl as soon as I have time.

CPanel must have updated the perl version or something, I got this when logging into SSH:

Attempting to create directory /home1/gfishing/perl5

Some progress on postgresql. To startup postgresql-9.0, su to user "postgres", and run:

/usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data

"service postgresql-9.0 start" isn't working, can't figure out why; perhaps someone can give some suggestions here.

Right now, it's configured to run on port 6543, so we can run the servers in parallel.

Some progress on postgresql. To startup postgresql-9.0, su to user "postgres", and run:

/usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data

"service postgresql-9.0 start" isn't working, can't figure out why; perhaps someone can give some suggestions here.

Right now, it's configured to run on port 6543, so we can run the servers in parallel.

Sorry, I was away from my computer xaav, I didn't see your IRC message - I was hoping to leave this thread in y'alls hands :)

To clarify for djbob, I think this is what we want as the plan of action:

- Perl: newer version in parallel (two interpreters)

- PostgreSQL: update/replace current version (one daemon)

Xaav:

I'm not sure you really want to run PostgreSQL in parallel, as that might bog down the system. I'm not too sure about that, but I would only do it in parallel for testing, before putting it into production. First you'll want to back up all the 8.1. You might want to also send out a message to the community about the update. The biggest issue that I remember from 8.1 to 8.4 was typecasting. 8.1 was a little less secure and used a little looser data types, whereas 8.4+ requires the user to be more specific (especially regarding dates). Still, I don't know how many of the users are actually using the database (I don't have permission to view the statistics tables).

The actual install should not be that difficult. You can download it here (http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux) but the easiest way would be to use the apt installer. As for your error message, I'm not exactly sure what you're doing, though the command might be "service pgsql-9.0 start" because the older versions were called something else (pgsql instead of postgresql). This might be a helpful page: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgupgrade.html

The most help you're going to get is from the IRC channel (#postgresql). If you go in there, take whatever RhodiumToad has to say for statement of fact. Though, try to go there with a specific question and be ready to pastebin.com something.

Note to self: Port set in /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql-9.0

@djbob According to the cpanel docs, I need to change some settings in WHM.