Use DNS to point to Dynamic IP?

k2woo

Hi:

Am not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. I am subscribing to a data service that requires a static IP from my computer. However, like most, my computer only has a Dynamic IP address. My question is this, which pardon me if it is too basic, but can I simply use an A Name in my DNS to point to my Dynamic IP address, and then update the IP when needed?

If so, is there also a way to update the IP address automatically via software?

Any help will be oh so appreciated!!

Keith

Am not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. I am subscribing to a data service that requires a static IP from my computer. However, like most, my computer only has a Dynamic IP address. My question is this, which pardon me if it is too basic, but can I simply use an A Name in my DNS to point to my Dynamic IP address, and then update the IP when needed?

One option is to use a free service such as http://www.no-ip.com/ although there are dozens of other services that do the same thing. Basically you can get a free program that runs in the background while your computer is online to detect when your ip dynamically changes and then it updates the DNS to point to your new ip address. Obviously, if you pay these companies more money you get more services and more domain name options.

If I understand your question correctly it sounds like you wish to use your domain that you have the nameservers pointed to Heliohost to access your dynamically shifting home ip address? If so one thing I did in the past that worked really well was I created a forum at mydomain.com and then used a subdomain to point to mydynamicip.com using a free service so if someone went to www.mydomain.com they would see the forum/website on port 80, but if they went to ventrilo.mydomain.com on port 3784 it would actually access my home dynamic ip address. Is that sort of what you are talking about?

If it isn't you might also wish to speak with your internet service provider about the costs associated with purchasing a static ip.

One option is to use a free service such as http://www.no-ip.com/ although there are dozens of other services that do the same thing. Basically you can get a free program that runs in the background while your computer is online to detect when your ip dynamically changes and then it updates the DNS to point to your new ip address. Obviously, if you pay these companies more money you get more services and more domain name options.

If I understand your question correctly it sounds like you wish to use your domain that you have the nameservers pointed to Heliohost to access your dynamically shifting home ip address? If so one thing I did in the past that worked really well was I created a forum at mydomain.com and then used a subdomain to point to mydynamicip.com using a free service so if someone went to www.mydomain.com they would see the forum/website on port 80, but if they went to ventrilo.mydomain.com on port 3784 it would actually access my home dynamic ip address. Is that sort of what you are talking about?

If it isn't you might also wish to speak with your internet service provider about the costs associated with purchasing a static ip.

Thanks Krydos, that was very helpful. I've since looked at one of those options, dynDNS.com, but for the free option, you can only use their domain names. If I understand correctly how this thing works, the only difference between creating an A name/subdomain in Heliohost to point to a dynamic IP, and using these services, is the automatic updating feature?

Do you know if there is a DNS updater within Heliohost to do the same? If not, I will probably go with one of these other providers, since they seem to specialize in this sort of thing.

Thanks Krydos, that was very helpful.

You're quite welcome.

I've since looked at one of those options, dynDNS.com, but for the free option, you can only use their domain names. If I understand correctly how this thing works, the only difference between creating an A name/subdomain in Heliohost to point to a dynamic IP, and using these services, is the automatic updating feature?

Do you know if there is a DNS updater within Heliohost to do the same? If not, I will probably go with one of these other providers, since they seem to specialize in this sort of thing.

As far as I know there isn't any sort of program or script that would update the ip records on Heliohost. (Unless you wanted to write it yourself.) The reason I did what I described about pointing a subdomain to a dynamic ip address was because I wanted to host a webpage PLUS host some other services on strange ports by running services on my own server and have them both use the same main domain.

If you just need a DNS service to connect to your dynamic ip address but don't need any of the web hosting services that heliohost offers then you might be right. Heliohost is a webhost after all.