[Solved] Multiple Account Policy

Krydos

I was reading http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?s=...ost&p=65354 today and it got me started thinking about the multiple account policy which is summed up on the wiki as:

http://wiki.helionet.org/wiki/Suspension_...licate_accounts

Duplicate accounts

On HelioHost, each person/user is only allowed one account on HelioHost. If you require more than one website, then many features of another HelioHost account is already possible with your current account - read up on Parked, Addon and Sub Domains for more information on how to make multiple websites on one account.

If you are caught with two or more accounts, you will be asked which one(s) you would like deleting, or we will permanently suspend all of them.

Recently, I have been thinking it might be fun to start doing some experimentation with .NET again, but I like having my account on Stevie and the (eventual) stability that that will entail. I also want to keep my main, functional, and accessible to people other than myself websites on stevie.

I guess what I'm getting at is, would it be possible to have another account on johnny to support .NET and all those other dangerous resources while keeping my account on stevie? The Duplicate Account policy makes a lot of sense with one server because there isn't any reason to have multiple accounts. Everything you could do with two accounts you can do with parked/addon/sub domains so it's pointless. What if one of your websites is just mysql/php and it should be on stevie, but another is .NET and java or whatever?

Ideal solution to this dilemma would be for each user to have one overall dual-server encompassing account. Then access to cPanel on each stevie and johnny could be installed or deleted like a module or something. That way the accounts would be linked and only the people who needed an account on both servers would have one, or if an account only needed access to one or the other they could do that too. That sounds like a lot of custom coding though, unless someone can find someone else who has had this same issue before out in the internet somewhere.

FYI: I also understand that I could just create a second account on johnny without asking from a different domain, and with a different email address and no one would ever know the difference, but I don't really enjoy breaking rules for no good reason. Besides this might be a good discussion to have now that both servers are usually stable and running nicely.

Guest Geoff
Ideal solution to this dilemma would be for each user to have one overall dual-server encompassing account. Then access to cPanel on each stevie and johnny could be installed or deleted like a module or something. That way the accounts would be linked and only the people who needed an account on both servers would have one, or if an account only needed access to one or the other they could do that too. That sounds like a lot of custom coding though, unless someone can find someone else who has had this same issue before out in the internet somewhere.

If you would like to code this up, pick your language and we'll set you up!

If you would like to code this up, pick your language and we'll set you up!

Yeah, I wish I could commit myself to doing just that for you all, but I'm a spread a little too thin right now. I'll think about it, and if I get caught up on a few of my other projects I'll take a serious look into this.

*mumblemumble* ...perhaps I'd get more done if I read forums less and worked more... *mumblegrumble*

Let's see what djbob thinks (and I won't triple-escalate it again!!)....

This support request is being escalated to our root admin.

I have to stop looking at that thread because it keeps making me laugh out loud. I know the term "LOL" has become a little meaningless over the last few years, but seriously... :D

Guest Geoff
Yeah, I wish I could commit myself to doing just that for you all, but I'm a spread a little too thin right now. I'll think about it, and if I get caught up on a few of my other projects I'll take a serious look into this.

Well, I was kind of making a joke because this would take up too much of my (already-committed) time.