Commonly Asked Questions (CAQ) - Updated 4th April 2011

jje

Commonly Asked Questions

For new members of HelioHost, I have posted some questions that have been commonly asked on this forum. Before posting, please check out this thread, as your answer might lie in this post.

Pre-Signup Questions

Q. What does HelioHost offer?

A. HelioHost offers free hosting to anybody, and provides you with support for PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python, Perl, MySQL, PostgreSQL and a cPanel. Versions are available at heliohost.org .

Q. What is 'cPanel'.

A. cPanel is a control panel giving you full control over your site, and allowing you to change it easily. View the demo at http://x3demob.cpx3demo.com:2082/login/?us...mp;pass=x3demob

Q. Is there a site builder? Can I add advanced software such as Forums, Blogs, etc?

A. Within cPanel's File Manager, you can make a HTML file (for example index.html) and enter the HTML Editor to view a WYSIWYG (What You See What You Get) Editor. Using cPanel's 'Softaculous', you can install advanced software such as Forums and Blogs easily.

Q. What email functions are available?

A. You can make many email addresses which can be viewed in 3 different online webmail systems and can even be configured in applications such as Microsoft Outlook. The email addresses will be (for example) me@yourdomain.com replacing yourdomain.com with your web address and me with whatever you prefer. You can also setup Forwarders to send messages to your personal email address and Auto Responders to automatically send an email back to senders.

Q. How much space and usage do I have?

A. You have 250MB of disk space available to you, which might not seem like a lot on a normal computer, but it is more than plenty. If you had a forum, blog and static pages, it would be approximately 100MB of your storage used. You also have an unlimited amount of bandwidth, meaning your site can be accessed as many times as you please. However, please respect other users - HelioHost is not for hosting your backup files etc.

Q. Does HelioHost force me to place advertisments on my site?

A. No, you are not forced to place ads on your website.

Q. Is there a limit on how many cron jobs can be run?

A. Yes, you can run no more than 2 cron tasks per day. This is because that they put lots of pressute on the server and can cause downtime.

Q. Are there any uptime stats available?

A. Yes - click here for basic statistics. Or click here for more detailed statistics (thanks Piotr GRD).

During Signup

Q. What choice of domains do I have?

A. You can have the free .heliohost.org domain, or you can buy a .com, .co.uk, .net, or other domain. HelioHost DOES NOT sell domains. You could also sign up to a FREE .co.cc domain.

Q. I'm not getting a free .heliohost.org domain, so how do I set up another?

A. In the signup process, simply enter the web address you have purchased/your free .co.cc domain. Then in your domain control panel, enter the following name servers.

ns1.heliohost.org

ns2.heliohost.org

Q. In my domain control panel I am given 'Zone Names'. What should I enter?

A. There is no need to enter any Zone Names. Just leave it blank.

Q. What is the advantage of signing up to HelioNet.org?

A. If you need support, then you can use that username and password to post your question in our forums.

Q. When I go to the Signup page, it says that the maximum signups for today has been reached?

A. So the server doesn't get stressed out, there is a limit on how many signups per day. Try again tomorrow, after 00:00. Time is Pacific Daylight Time. To find out when to signup, please go to http://heliohost.uni.cc/sign-up.php (thanks Byron and Geoff).

After Signup

Q. My account hasn't been activated yet, and it's been ?? hours.

A. Try clearing your browser's cache. If that doesn't work then don't worry - the server hasn't activated your account yet, and it usually takes around 48 hours. If you are still waiting after 48 hours, then please just wait. If you are using a .co.cc or other domain, it will probably take longer. Please wait 96 hours before posting on the HelioNet website.

Q. Java/JSP/ASP.NET aren't working / I'd like to request for Java/JSP/ASP.NET.

A. If you are on Stevie, then you will need to request to be moved to our new server, Johnny. Click here to request a move.

Q. How can I access my cPanel?

A. Login through the HelioHost homepage, which is at www.heliohost.org .

Q. Can I access cPanel when I am behind a firewall (through port 80)?

A. Navigate to http://cpanel.yoursite.com (replacing yoursite.com with your domain). However, only use this method if you are behind a firewall, as this method may not record your login attempts, which will lead to a suspension for inactivity.

Footer

Also before posting, please check the NEWS section.

Special thanks to Byron for these useful images of the server usage. The lower the server load, the higher your website. It is usually under 20.00 .

Also, go to www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/stevie.heliohost.org to find out if Stevie is down for everyone or just you.

If your website is on Johnny, use www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/johnny.heliohost.org to find out if Johnny is down for everyone or just you.

This is the end of my CAQ guide. Any suggestions please post in this thread. This thread is NOT for posting questions, please make your own thread.

I will update this thread with new questions and answers in any way possible. :)

Below is a list of updates:

Version 1.0.0 - August 22nd 2010 - Initial post. (updated 3 times today)

Version 1.0.1 - August 27th 2010 - Adding more specific time zone - thanks Byron!

Version 1.0.2 - September 5th 2010 - Suggesting to clear cache if account is activated yet.

Version 1.0.3 - December 25th 2010 - Amending the bandwidth information - thanks Geoff! Added updates on Charlie.

Version 1.0.3.1 - December 29th 2010 - Added estimated time on Charlie.

Version 1.0.4 - January 17th 2011 - Amending ASP.NET information, adding new question related to advertisements and cron jobs, added last update date to title, and updated Charlies status.

Version 1.0.5 - February 13th 2011 - Adding server load for Charlie, updated Charlie's status, and updated login URLs.

Version 1.0.6.1 - February 15th 2011 - Removing Fantastico as it is no longer available (Softaculous is available instead).

Version 1.0.7 - February 17th 2011 - Adding link to link which shows when to signup (thanks Byron and Geoff).

Version 1.0.8 - February 19th 2011 - Adding site uptime links.

Version 1.0.9 - February 25th 2011 - Updated downforeveryoneorjustme link.

Version 1.1.0 - March 26th 2011 - Updated Charlie status, updated Server Load, updated cPanel login, updated downforeveryoneorjustme links, amending ASP.NET, Java and JSP question.

Version 1.1.1 - April 4th 2011 - Adding new question on how to login to cPanel through Port 80. Updating Charlie Status.

Below are updates on the new server, Charlie: Completed

December - Delivered to the data center.

January - Being configured, signup form being configured.

February - HelioHost and HelioNet official websites moved to Charlie.

March - Johnny goes online, server move requests are now available.

April - Extra security now in place.

Thanks for reading,

Happy webmasting!

-JJE

• 4 months later...

You should update this:

Instead of:

You also have a bandwidth of amazing 2,500MB, and it resets every month!

Put:

You also have unlimited bandwidth.

Or something similar.

• 1 month later...

Since this really belongs in the "Questions" forum (which is now the q&a site), I think we might consider breaking these up into a bunch of different questions on the q&a site after it comes out of beta.

• 1 month later...
How about moving these to the wiki?

I think that's a really good idea. Forum posts can be easily overlooked and the wiki has a better environment for changes and better viewing (does that make sense?).