E-mail curiosity

vvenet

Dear supporteam,

While I was setting up my e-mail configuraytion in Outlook.  I got it working but very strangly. SMTP you state "To send messages via SMTP securely, use port 465."I normally always set the security to "Automatic" (other choices are; none, TLS, SSL). By setting it to automatic, it did not sent out e-mails. Only by setting it manually to "SSL" it sends out e-mail. 

Question 1: why does "Automatic" not work here?

I did run a test on mail-tester.com. I got 10/10. Good. But one issue bothers me that got a yellow flag: "You're not fully authenticated" ==> "Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain." Further explaination: "Reverse DNS lookup or reverse DNS resolution (rDNS) is the determination of a domain name that is associated with a given IP address. Some companies such as AOL will reject any message sent from a server without rDNS, so you must ensure that you have one. You cannot associate more than one domain name with a single IP address."

Question2: can this be fixed and why is this a "yellow flag/warning"?

Kind regards. 🙂 

No idea on why automatic doesn't work, but you're the first to ever even mention it. Most people just use SSL which is the recommended setting.

Reverse DNS will never match for accounts on a shared IP address and is normal. This is not unique to us, but is the nature of shared web hosting. Email  servers receiving mail from a shared IP generally see the server hostname for reverse DNS (johnny.heliohost.org or tommy2.heliohost.org) instead of the domain in the From address. 

• Like 1