SSL/TLS certificate for mail, yes or no?

vvenet

Hello. My domain is hosted on ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org for hosting and webmail and pop/stmp service. In Plesk, the default value for "SSL/TLS certificate for mail" is "not selected". Elsewhere in Plesk I read this "No need to secure mail if you do not use mail for the domain or you use the server domain name for mail and the server is secured with an SSL/TLS certificate.

Question:

1) is your mail server secured with an SSL/TLS certificate and

2) do I have to enable  "SSL/TLS certificate for mail" ?

I have not been able to find any info about this matter at https://wiki.helionet.org/. Hopefully you can give me more insight on this.

Thank you and kind regards
(User vvenet)

Edited by vvenet

I always select this option, but as described in plesk itself, if you use the server host name, it doesn’t really matter. The server host name has its own certificate that it uses.

I do recommend that you select the option for webmail at minimum though, otherwise the webmail subdomain of your domains (which automatically exists if mail is turned on) will throw security warnings.

• Like 1

Dear Wolstech, thank you for your message.

Yes, I already had selected "SSL/TLS certificate for mail" for webmail. 🙂 

Out of curiosity: is it harmfull of will it e.g. lead to errors, if  I still enable/select "SSL/TLS certificate for mail"?

Kind regards.