[Solved] Locked out of my VPS

Hi.
I have VPS59.

I was attempting to get 2FA working, but had some problems with RDP when I enabled it.
After experimenting a bit, I managed to change the way SSH logins work so it asks for "Password & verification code:", but regardless of if I input <password><2FA code> or opposite order, all without <> of course, it declines me.

I don't know if you have methods to get into my account. If yes, would someone be able to go to

/etc/pam.d/sshd

And then change the two top lines to the below instead of their current lines. With this change, I will be able to login again through SSH.

auth required pam_google_authenticator.so
auth required pam_unix.so

If you're not able to log in to my account, would it be possible to wipe my VPS clean? If this is the only option, I'll donate another $4 for the trouble, same price as the initial setup.
I have backups of the most important stuff outside the VPS.

Edited by DrDark

The email address for this forum account doesn't match the email address used to create VPS59. Here is the forum account that uses the same email address

https://helionet.org/index/profile/215619-drdark24/

Here are your options:

1. Post your request from the forum account listed above.
  2. Email your support request to support@heliohost.org from the email address used to create your VPS.
  3. Post with the forum account listed above asking for this other email address to be added to your VPS account.
  4. Email to support@heliohost.org from the email address used to create your VPS asking for this email address to be added to your VPS account.

This email verification is needed to help prevent someone from pretending to be you to delete your data or remove security from your VPS, etc.

• Like 1

I understand. It's because this account is my original account I used for your web host a few years back, and "drdark24" is my VPS account.

I emailed your support mail now. Thanks a lot.

Ownership of the VPS has been verified. I have added this Gmail account as a contact for your VPS so you can request support from either email address. I logged in and made the changes as requested to the /etc/pam.d/sshd file. Can you login now?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot!

Apparently something further is bugged, and it puts me in an infinite verification/password loop. Your edit did make the change I expected, but apparently the bug is deeper than that 😕

Instead, whichever would be easier for you, could you just reset the VPS completely, or make a few more file edits which should disable 2FA* completely. I'm okay with either, so it's just which one you prefer.

Either way, I apologize for the trouble.

/etc/pam.d/sshd:

In here, please just completely delete the two files you changed before.

/etc/ssh/sshd_config:

In here please:

PasswordAuthentication yes #Make sure this say yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes # Comment this out
ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes #Comment this out
UsePAM yes #Comment this out

Then finally the SSH server needs to be restarted: "sudo systemctl restart ssh"

After this, I should be able to connect through both normal SSH and from my RDP… I highly expect.

Edited by DrDark