[Solved] Website no longer works - 500 Internal Server Error

Hello. I have not touched my website and it no longer works. I can't even access my WordPress admin area.I tried to connect to the url with several browsers and I have the following message:

500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Edited by patnumber1

Date	Type	IP	Code	Message	R	Agent	Size	Source
2024-06-11 21:01:24	Warning	2001:470:1:1ee::2009		mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: Undefined array key "url" in /home/patnumber1.helioho.st/superkat.fr/wp-content/plugins/wpforms-lite/src/Forms/IconChoices.php on line 127				Apache error
2024-06-11 21:01:24	Warning	2001:470:1:1ee::2009		mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: Undefined array key "path" in /home/patnumber1.helioho.st/superkat.fr/wp-content/plugins/wpforms-lite/src/Forms/IconChoices.php on line 128				Apache error
2024-06-11 21:01:06	Error	2601:41:c080:e21:b154:1c2f:a87c:a635	500	GET / HTTP/1.0		Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36	2.26 K	Apache SSL/TLS access
2024-06-11 21:01:51	Warning	2601:41:c080:e21:b154:1c2f:a87c:a635		mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 45 seconds				Apache error
2024-06-11 21:01:51	Error	2601:41:c080:e21:b154:1c2f:a87c:a635		End of script output before headers: index.php				Apache error

It's timing out, which basically means the WP install is either too heavy for the server or is broken. Load can play a major factor in whether WP works at any given time considering it's so heavy due to its poor design. The server may manage to finish a page within the time limit sometimes while load can cause to time out at other times.

I did notice he also has one of the known offender extensions installed (Elementor) that cause performance issues. 

I haven't touched anything in my admin area. Everything was working very well and overnight, my site was inaccessible. I didn't exceed the CPU or memory load at all. What is going on ? I also have my (identical) site locally, which works very well.

WordPress is extremely inefficiently coded, and because you're sharing the server resources with several thousand other users, when the server is busy, it can take too long for WP's code to execute and it times out.

We usually only really see this sort of issue with WordPress. It is extremely heavy due to poor design and has never run well here. It also has a bad habit of getting hacked.

The typical solution is to remove as many extensions as possible, especially these 3 (wordfence, elementor, woocommerce), use caching, convert the site to static html locally and host that on our server, or just don't use WordPress. Literally any other content management system out there is better in terms of efficiency and code quality.

It runs well on a local computer for testing because you're the only site on the computer.

Your Plesk account has been deleted. Thank you for trying HelioHost.

For what it's worth, users are successfully running thousands of different pieces of software here, however our service does sometimes struggle with applications such as Wordpress and Moodle that have demanding resource requirements because of the limits we impose to ensure fair access for all users. Many users have gotten WP to work (and stock WP actually runs fine on its own), though more advanced websites do require planning, use of tools like Cloudflare, and the avoidance of larger extensions such as the ones I mentioned above to get a functional site that doesn't result in errors or load suspensions.

Wordpress does work properly on our VPS plan if you're interested for $4/month, and we can install a control panel like Hestia at no cost to eliminate the need for command line management if you wish. We also plan to offer a paid shared hosting option called Morty that should better handle these applications too, though there is currently no ETA on when that offering will be released.