[Solved] Access webserver via static IP: Which directory for HTML file?

florianh

Dear all,

this might be a stupid question:

I try to access my HelioHost server via HTTP (web browser) and the static IP:
http://64.71.xxx.xxx/index.html

In which directory on the VPS server do I need to put the index.html file?
On the root level I see bin, dev, home, srv, etc. 

Update:

I searched the forums and it seems there should be a folder "~/public_html". However that folder does not exist in my home dir. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Oliver

8 hours ago, florianh said:

I searched the forums and it seems there should be a folder "~/public_html".

This information is accurate for cPanel, but not for a VPS. Generally on a VPS the default webroot is /var/www/html/ Also make sure you have a a webserver installed to serve your index.html file. By default the VPS is just a bare operating system with nothing installed yet. The two most popular webserver software are Apache and Nginx, but there are others as well.

If you're not too familiar with SSH and installing stuff by the command line we can also install a control panel for you so you can administrate your website via a browser. The most popular free control panel for HelioHost users is Hestia. You can install it yourself with the instructions at https://hestiacp.com/ or we can install it for you. Personally I prefer to not have a control panel and rather just installing things on the command line, but a control panel takes care of installing the webserver and a lot of other software that you may or may not need.

Let us know if you have any other questions or need help with anything.

Dear Krydos,

Thank you very much for your quick reply, it solved the problem:

I installed the Apache webserver via command line and indeed the HTML files are stored in /var/www/html/.
(this is the installation tutorial I followed, if anybody is in the same situation: How To Install the Apache Web Server on Ubuntu 22.04 | DigitalOcean)

Cheers!

Florian

• Krydos changed the title to Access webserver via static IP: Which directory for HTML file?