Hosting account installed, but not validated?

GaryM

My registration request for a new free hosting account was accepted, and I received a confirmation email. However, I am unable to log in to CPanel. I've verified that I'm using the same username and password confirmed to me in the original registration confirmation email.

There was a line in the confirmation email that said something about perhaps having to wait for account validation before my account becomes active, but when I type in my heliohost subdomain directly into a browser window, I'm not getting a "suspended" message; it just shows an index page for my subdomain with the normal empty folders.

Please investigate or let me know if I'm doing something incorrectly.

Thanks,

GaryM

It takes up to an hour for the account to be created, and 24 hours for Apache to restart. That means that you will see your control panel in up to an hour, and your site will be up in up to 24 hours.

If you can't log in after an hour, let me know what your username / domain are and I'll take a look.

After registering for my new hosting account I waited overnight to try logging in to cPanel, so that wasn't the issue. Tried again to log in to cPanel after reading djbob's reply...still no luck. Don't know what prompted me to try this, but I decided to enter my username in all lower case, and not the combination upper and lower case that I selected when I initially registered, and that solved the log-in issue. Apparently, cPanel log-in is case-sensitive, and is set up to only accept lower case letters. This was not apparent from reading the welcome email I received after successfully registering, as this letter repeated my username in the same upper and lower case form that I gave during the registration process. For future new users, may I suggest that the welcome letter be changed to alert people to this (or, alternately, adjust the programming of the cPanel log in to accept any combination of upper and lower case).

Djbob, your reply raised another question: you said something about the Apache server needing to restart in 24 hours in order to see my site. Could you please clarify what you mean? Are you talking about the initial subdomain becoming "active", or are you saying that site modifications are not immediately reflected on the "live" site, and take 24 hours to show up?

By the way, my site will use SSI (server side includes) commands, and since they have to be parsed by the server before seeing how they "look" in a browser, I'm assuming that cPanel accomodates this "on the fly" so I can see my site modifications in real time as I'm working on it. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for the information about the email and the case-sensitive username. I've changed the signup application to send the username in all lowercase, and to note that it is case sensitive.

It's about the initial subdomain becoming active. Basically, Apache needs to restart before new vhosts are synced, and your site won't appear until it has a vhost. An Apache restart results in about three minutes of downtime, so we do it just once a day.

And yes, you can indeed see your site modifications in real time. Every time that you request a page from Stevie (the HelioHost server), Apache calls mod_include (SSI backend) to parse the includes. That means that changes are reflected immediately.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm also having an issue with getting to CPanel. My problem is that I can't even access the CPanel site. The operation keeps timing out. My site devresapp.heliohost.org is up, as I can see the normal index folders and stuff but I can't seem to access the CPanel. Also just recently I tried to ftp to the site and the 1st time it worked but the second time the operation timed out.

Please help.

Thank you very much,

-Reghu

P.S.: Its been 48hrs since I subscribed.