Very Confused and I Need some help!

Syrius

Call me daft but I thought I read the front page correctly when signing up to heliohost, choose a domain name and there's your site ready for you, I'm no genius and I've never hosted my own website before, I've always borrowed someone else's bandwidth, with permission, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

Do I need to go and register the domain name that I want before setting up an account? and if I have already registered a domain name how do I make it add it?

I'm sorry for the perhaps stupid questions I am asking but like I said I've never hosted on my own before so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Call me daft but I thought I read the front page correctly when signing up to heliohost, choose a domain name and there's your site ready for you, I'm no genius and I've never hosted my own website before, I've always borrowed someone else's bandwidth, with permission, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

Do I need to go and register the domain name that I want before setting up an account? and if I have already registered a domain name how do I make it add it?

I'm sorry for the perhaps stupid questions I am asking but like I said I've never hosted on my own before so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Uh.. you need to post 400 times before you can even think of requesting a top level domain. If you've already registered a domain name, you change your DNS to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org.

If you don't know what you're doing, I suggest getting a subdomain first, i.e. whatever.heliohost.org. Learn the ropes on that, then get a TLD.

Oops... I modified the signup script yesterday to make the fact that we don't give away .com's for nothing even more obvious, but looks like the Javascript I added doesn't work with IE.

What is your domain name? Have you already registered it? If so, set your nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. If not, then request that I delete your existing account so you can make a new one.

Okay I got all of that sorted out. and my site is up and going. Thank you all for your help. If I could just ask one more question, I am using dreamweaver and I just can't seem to get it to connect to heliohost. I have connected using ftp before so I know how to do it but maybe I need to add an extra piece of text to it to get it to work?

You have all been so helpful and it is very much appreciated I shall be posting up my site once I have fixed up the css, I missed a bit of positioning, whoops! I love building websites but sometimes I swear css is trying to kill me!