Ming Problem

Byron

Since Ming is an experimental platform, it is not working 100% yet. Based off the error message you got ("GIF images must be translated into DBL files for now") it seems like GIF support has not been added yet.

Since Ming is an experimental platform, it is not working 100% yet. Based off the error message you got ("GIF images must be translated into DBL files for now") it seems like GIF support has not been added yet.

This is what that example file should look like.

http://www.script-artist.com/ming/works/GNU/Byron.swf

That person who made that for me sent me a zip that had the images and font and the ming script and that swf file that program produced. Maybe they have a different version of Ming. My knowledge of Ming is nadda. Let me see if I can find anything from them about maybe what the deal is.

Byron

All I know is that the checkbox for Ming under EasyApache 3 in WHM tells me that it is not recommended as it is an unstable module.

Evidently it's actually working and the error is just telling us that it "must be translated into DBL files for now" and maybe a future update will fix that? I never once thought to check the swf that the php script ouputs because I kept getting that error and just assumed that it would'nt be there but low and behold it is. :)

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/ming/tmp/Byron.swf

I guess all is ok. Sorry about that djbob, but like I said I nothing about Ming.

Thanks again djbob,

Byron

EDIT:

Nevermind, it isn't working like I thought. I just went back and looked at the script and talked to that person again. That swf file was created on that persons server and included in the zip file. My scrpt should have outputed this file:

$myMovie->save("Byron2.swf");

which it didn't because of the error. So now I think it's your call. If it's against your better judgment than that's perfectly ok with me cause I really appreciate what I have now. Whatever you decide I'll be ok with. :)

This has nothing to do with my judgement. From what I understand, this problem is entirely due to Ming to being able to handle GIF files - the error message is quite clear. There is nothing to do but wait for an update from the Ming folks.

This has nothing to do with my judgement. From what I understand, this problem is entirely due to Ming to being able to handle GIF files - the error message is quite clear. There is nothing to do but wait for an update from the Ming folks.

Oh OK, I was a little confused as to why that person who sent me the script was able to use gif files and I wasn't. They've had ming for a long time and probably have an older version of Ming than heliohost. They said their version was Version 0.3.0. But I'm not going to worry about any longer and I'll just keep checking my files to see if Ming updates in the future.

Thanks djbob!

Byron

We also have version 0.3.0. I don't know what the problem is here - I suggest you look around Ming distribution lists and forums. If they have directives that need to be executed through shell, let me know and if they're safe I'll probably execute them.

We also have version 0.3.0. I don't know what the problem is here - I suggest you look around Ming distribution lists and forums. If they have directives that need to be executed through shell, let me know and if they're safe I'll probably execute them.

Okay I'll check around and see what I can come up with. But check this out. I took those same images that were in that script and converted them to PNG's and changed it inside the script and it works.

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/ming/tmp/BYRON_2.php

Maybe that'll give you some clue as to what's going on?

Not really. The error message only said that GIF files didn't work, so I don't see why it would reject PNG files.

OK djbob, this is all I've come up with so far concerning this particular error found on my page:

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/ming/tmp/BYRON.php

This may or may not help you, but from what I can tell this is the part of Ming that outputs that error.

http://www.oaxaca.gob.mx/mapserver48/ming-...blocks/bitmap.c

Google Cached version

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:jSTtU...us&ie=UTF-8

Maybe you just need to uncomment one of the includes? But you'd no more about that than I would. Anyway hope this shed some light on the problem.

Byron

I really don't have time to debug the Ming source code... that's not my job. Please contact the Ming folks to see how to debug this issue. If they need you to do run some directives from the command line, let me know and I'll probably do them for you.

Okay, this was the reply I recieved. Hopefully this will shed some light on the problem. Let me know if you have any questions?

Hi Byron

You can't use PNG and GIF files directly in Ming - you need to convert them to DBLs which are understood natively by Flash. Not sure about Windows, but in Linux you need the libming-util package (sudo apt-get install libming-util in Ubuntu) and then convert your gif with the command gif2dbl.

J