web site designing

I plan on making a site in python once it's installed on the new server. I prefer it over php.

I agree man! python is easier than php, but you have more flexibility with php!

I like php a bit more, but both are cool. :)

Thats a neat website for a quick shoutbox milli, i might have to pick on it in the future! :P

Yeah I use dreamweaver for most of my works

As far as tools, I have heard good things about Dreamweaver, but have not yet had the chance to use it because of the price tag. I've looked at a few open source tools and found that Seamonkey includes a Composer to build websites. It is based on the Composer included with the old Netscape browser. It probably doesn't have all the bells and whistles included with Dreamweaver, but will get you started. Don't bother with Nvu or Kompozer, there hasn't been any updates or support for either of those products in quite some time.

For whatever it is worth here is my opinion. If you are just starting out, begin by learning HTML and CSS. It really is key for any website. Then you can get into dynamic pages and use a language like php. I've also found it handy to know client side scripting. I prefer to use javascript for client side scripting since just about every browser I've come across supports it.

Seems like the shoutbox question has been answered. For forums, I would just google and decide based on the features the product supports or you desire in a forum.

We also don't know what platform you are developing on. The answer to that will make a difference in what is suggested.

Personally, I don't like Dreamweaver. It's really not that helpful, in my opinion. I use phpDesigner for most PHP work, but sometimes I use vim instead, usually for smaller things.

For building websites I use RapidPHP. It's a great editor and supports most of the major web programming languages. I personally can't use DreamWeaver though.

And for making scripts, I use php and mysql. But that's just because I haven't learned any other languages.

Yeah. I know PHP spits out HTML as output, doesn't python do the same?

It spits out HTML, but PHP/python using HTML?

To me, output = utilization.

I mean, does php have any alternative way of output? The Internet is encased in < and >.