MySql database problems

Mark Wilding

I have one mysql database set up for my account, which I'm using as the backend for a MediaWiki wiki. I've just found that I'm unable to read from the database. If I try checking it through the cPanel interface, I get a lot of messages of the form

mwilding_wikidb.archive error : Incorrect information in file: './mwilding_wikidb/archive.frm'

I think there's one of these for every table in the database.

Have you any idea what might have caused this? Is it possible that the database files have been lost somehow?

Cheers.

I've just come across a previous post from about a month ago by someone who had the same problem: the previous post.

I suppose I'll just keep trying my site again and, if my problem is the same, it should come back when the cache is cleared.

Sorry, I didn't see this post before. I'll post again if my problem doesn't resolve itself!

Unfortunately, the problem has not yet gone away.

My wiki can be found here, which will demonstrate the problem. I notice that Jioruji's site is also displaying the same errors, so it's not something specific to my wiki.

Anyone got any ideas? MySql configuration issue, perhaps?

Update: the problem went away when the MySql server was restarted. I still don't know what it was, so if anyone happens to have any ideas, it will be handy next time it happens!

I have absolutely no clue what's going on. Sorry :(

Best to post on a MySQL support forum - maybe they would know what's going on. If it's a problem from my end that I can fix, let me know.

• 1 month later...

I have a helpful, though mystifying observation that will be interesting to anyone else who's had this problem.

When the database starts playing up (as it has been doing now and again since my first post above), if I login to phpMyAdmin and go to the status page, I see some strange errors, clearly because it's having trouble querying the database. However, at this point the problems disappear: the database then works fine again. If I refresh the status page, it now has no trouble.

Every time, according to the messages on the status page, the mysql server restarted at the time when I first tried viewing the status page (i.e. when it didn't work). It's as if trying to view it and getting the errors triggers the server to restart. Very odd, but handy to know when things go wrong.