Database Errors(?)

Jioruji Derako

My MediaWiki site just went down, seems to only have been a short while ago (I'm sure it was working fine a few hours ago). From what I've read, it's a SQL database error, server-side; most of the MySQL Database tables I have in my site's main database are unrepairable, due to an "incorrect information" error. I heard that this is possibly caused due to changes in SQL settings, or something of the sort; my knowledge is very limited, so that's as close as I can hit on that problem.

If you head to my site, you should see the error: http://vynaioccwiki.heliohost.org/Main_Page

I heard of one case where the error fixed itself after a day, then re-appeared the next; supposedly disappearing and re-appearing at the same times that the server's cache cleared, or something. Any ideas? Can't get into my site at all this way.

Geo - a.k.a. Jioruji Derako

Here's the error message, in case you can't get to the site, or if the message has changed...

MediaWiki internal error.

Original exception: exception 'DBQueryError' with message 'A database error has occurred

Query: SELECT * FROM `user` WHERE user_id = '1' LIMIT 1

Function: User::loadFromDatabase

Error: 1033 Incorrect information in file: './defiant_wikidb/user.frm' (localhost)

' in /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php:824

Stack trace:

#0 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php(779): Database->reportQueryError('Incorrect infor...', 1033, ' SELECT * FRO...', 'User::loadFromD...', false)

#1 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php(1224): Database->query(' SELECT * FRO...', 'User::loadFromD...')

#2 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php(1243): Database->select('user', '*', Array, 'User::loadFromD...', Array)

#3 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(759): Database->selectRow('user', '*', Array, 'User::loadFromD...')

#4 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(204): User->loadFromDatabase()

#5 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(712): User->loadFromId()

#6 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(173): User->loadFromSession()

#7 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(1629): User->load()

#8 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(1604): User->getEffectiveGroups()

#9 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php(1760): User->getRights()

#10 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/StubObject.php(32): User->isAllowed('read')

#11 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/StubObject.php(122): StubObject->_call(Array, Array)

#12 [internal function]: StubUser->__call('isAllowed', Array)

#13 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Title.php(1269): StubUser->isAllowed('isAllowed', Array)

#14 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(133): Title->userCanRead('read')

#15 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(43): MediaWiki->preliminaryChecks()

#16 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/index.php(89): MediaWiki->initialize(Object(Title), Object(StubObject), Object(WebRequest))

#17 {main}

Exception caught inside exception handler: exception 'DBUnexpectedError' with message 'Error in fetchObject(): Incorrect information in file: './defiant_wikidb/page.frm' (localhost)' in /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php:953

Stack trace:

#0 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/MessageCache.php(314): Database->fetchObject(false)

#1 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/MessageCache.php(251): MessageCache->loadFromDB()

#2 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/MessageCache.php(441): MessageCache->load()

#3 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/GlobalFunctions.php(467): MessageCache->get('databaseerror', true, false)

#4 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/GlobalFunctions.php(421): wfMsgGetKey('databaseerror', true, false, true)

#5 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Exception.php(23): wfMsgReal('databaseerror', Array)

#6 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php(276): MWException->msg('databaseerror', 'Database error')

#7 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Exception.php(125): DBQueryError->getPageTitle()

#8 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Exception.php(88): MWException->htmlHeader()

#9 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Exception.php(111): MWException->reportHTML()

#10 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Exception.php(191): MWException->report()

#11 /home/defiant/public_html/wiki/includes/Exception.php(225): wfReportException()

#12 [internal function]: wfExceptionHandler(Object(DBQueryError))

#13 {main}

P.S.: Just to note, it's 24 hours later, and the site's working again; I'll need to dig up the similar issue I saw before (see if they mentioned anything about how it was fixed), it apparently has a tendency to pop up again fairly often, but is generally fixed when the cache clears (once every 24 hours). I don't think there's too much I can do to prevent issues like this from my end, as it's generally buried in the database itself or something... if the problem pops back up, you can be sure I'll mention it, hehe. I believe I just backed up my database, so if any bigger problems pop up, I should have a way out of it.

Sorry, but I don't have any ideas. Looks like this is a complicated MySQL error; I would ask on their support forums.

Alright, thanks. I'll try to look into it, and if I figure anything out, I'll let you know as well. It seems to be a temporary issue at the worst, but that's about all I could gather... and you don't see sites like Wikipedia going down with this bug, so I don't imagine it's common for the software.

Geo - a.k.a Jioruji Derako

• 1 month later...
Alright, thanks. I'll try to look into it, and if I figure anything out, I'll let you know as well. It seems to be a temporary issue at the worst, but that's about all I could gather... and you don't see sites like Wikipedia going down with this bug, so I don't imagine it's common for the software.

As you can see from my posts in another thread, I've been having similar problems to those you describe here recently. After finding your post I thought perhaps the problem would disappear as you say it did before for you, but it's now been a couple of days since it started and I'm still getting the same errors.

I wondered whether you'd come across any more information on what might be causing the problem or, better still, how it could be fixed! I notice that your wiki is currently having the same problems, which suggests that perhaps it's not an error in our databases themselves.

Cheers,

Mark

Edit:

I was just perusing the mysql admin and noticed that the mysql server was restarted 5 minutes ago. Sure enough, my database is up and running again. I'm extremely happy about this, as you can imagine. Would be very interesting to know what the problem might be.