[Answered] Is It Possible To Set Up A Synapse/matrix Server On Heliohost Servers

deckodeck

Hi there

I am new to everything linux and server-side python development, and I am lately trying to set up my own matrix server, by deploying Synapse

the thing is I don't know whether this is possible on one of heliohost servers, because I guess I need access to shell and to open up ports through the command line

I don't know on which operating system heliohost servers are running and If I might face any compatibility issues?

if anyone from the community has ever deployed their matrix server or have ever read the docs of synapse, then please help me through it or tell me if it is possible or not

thanks in advance

This is not supported. Just looking at Matrix's website shows it requires custom inbound port (port 8448), a custom daemon (which has to be built from source), and shell access (maybe just for the install, but I didn't look far enough into it to tell if its needed for administration too), none of which we allow.

You probably need a VPS to run this. It's not standard web software like a PHP or Python web application is. You can get a VPS for $20/month from a few places if you need a public server to host this on. If you want to learn it for free, download something like VirtualBox, install linux in a VM, and play around with it on your home PC. You can even host it from home if you don't mind setting up port forwarding (and possibly DDNS if you have a dynamic IP).

• Like 1