So...

skullys

I uploaded rescued backup ( thanks to Krydos) to Tommy

wp folder/files were part of backup and looked intact

wp .sql database file was also included with backup (separate from public_html / wp folder)

I imported wp .sql file to MYSQL database (shows 2.11MB size) , checked my PHPMyadmin and found the wp .sql file / contents listed there

Checked the wp-config.php file and saw the following were correct:

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'database_name_here');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'username_here');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password_here');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

The Problem ...Site shows database error when I type in address.

Wanted to make sure problem was with my files so I used softaculous to install new WP and that worked fine.

I would prefer to get my original wp site backup and running rather than having to recreate from a new install.

Any other suggestions or possible fixes I need to look at before going the new route?

I'm assuming you're talking about http://www.skullythepirate.com/wp/ which was showing a 500 error so I looked at error_log and saw

[30-Dec-2016 21:58:05 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/skully/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/class-wc-geo-ip.php on line 896
I created http://www.skullythepirate.com/wp/phpinfo.php to find out what version of PHP you were using for that site, which is currently 5.6. Then I edited php.ini for version 5.6 and set the memory limit to 64mb. The reason your site wasn't working is because it is too much of a memory hog. Installing less plugins and stuff would probably make it run leaner and faster.