Boost downloading speeds

I know that if you are on a network using a router, that you can cap bandwidths to each computer thru the router settings... well, my router doesnt have that option, or my roomie hasn't set them... so my question is, is there a program or a computer setting to where if i am downloading or uploading files that i can have my computer use as much bandwidth as possible over our "network"???

I don't think you can increase your speed to more than the limit. If the maximum speed is 512kbps and you download at 300 kbps then you can use software to boost it up but then too the speed would not possibly go beyond 512kbps.

• 2 weeks later...

router passwords? arnt they usual like umm wait lemme giv u an example

the router brand is netgear

the password for routers branded netgear is usually net gear aint it?

That would be great and nice and all, but, the router is set up for port forwarding and all and i am not sure what ports he has going to what computers and all. We are running 2 servers here and we have vpn so i don't want to screw anything up.

Tough one to say then.

I have tried download accelerator plus (DAP) and have found it very useful. The free version has ads though but I don't think that the premium version will be that expensive (didnt check out the price yet). Hope it helps you out.

I used netpumper before which was much faster at downloading but I think it had spyware or something like it.