[Answered] New User Wanting To Use A Domain

jrimer2

Hi, i signed up using the sub domain so i can test before i put the site live. I want to then use a domain instead of the heliohost, so do I just add the parked domain when I'm ready as well as pointing the name servers to the listed server on the site? I want to use jaredrimer.info which I own, and it is pointing somewhere else which i run too. i know what i need to do, but wonder what the steps are once I'm done developing and testing what the site will be for. I know my account isn't quite ready, but neither is the site.

Hi,

Thanks. By the way, I saw somewhere that I could change servers, and want to go on to Stevy, but was forced to sign up on Johnny. I don't see any option to change this, but saw instructions. Also, I don't know what is up with my account, since I see a page stating that it is still qued when going to jaredrimer.heliohost.org. I'm not ready for publication yet, I'm in developmennt for what jaredrimer.info will contain with you. Thanks for the response.

OK, I am not sure what is happening, I changed my DNS servers, but now i can't log in to my account over here. I do not get any errors, and i know there have been no replies and was waiting patiently. My account has no data on it, and I was thinking of starting the process of starting development where I am but can't seem to log in at all now.

Hi again, ok, so I put up an index page to overwride your default page, and even pointed my domain over as well as set up a parked domain and it works. However, your default page still shows, and i want my page to show. Nothing in cpanel allows me to change this and the web directory is empty minus the index page i just uploaded. Not impressed at all. Any other users seeing this type of behavior?

You signed up two days ago. Accounts on johnny can take up to a week to start working due to that server being severely over capacity. Also be aware that Johnny's uptime is terrible for the same reason. Johnny's meant for experimental stuff and for many, Johnny is not fast enough nor stable enough for real websites.

For what you're doing, you sound like you're looking for the performance offered on Stevie.

Is there a way for me to switch? Someone told me it was over capasity, but when I tried to sign up on Stevy, it wouldn't let me until midnight, and everyone needs sleep. Thats why I signed up over here on Johnny. Didn't think it would be this slow. From what I found, I need to delete my account, then sign up again. There's nothing on the account, so could it just be moved? That would be great.

on another note, I checked thestatus, and it says the account is live, but as of this morning, the default page you are showing is still there and I replaced it. I'll try to start over.

The only way to switch, is to delete your account on Johnny first and then sign up for an account on Stevie.

As for the status, while you can access your account, the website itself needs a bit more time to create.

If you want to stick too Johnny, you can set up your site.

I've tried the delete process and no confirmation, site must be slow. Yes, I could build out the site, however, I need something stable, and when I go to test, it needs to be up. I'll try to sign up again under Stevy, but it looks like I'll have to wait until midnight. Shouldn't take a week for accounts to be up and active, evenn on a busy server.

The delete process should just display a message when its successful. Even though it didn't show any message, I checked for you and it did work since I can no longer find your account.

It's not just you frustrated by the performance on Johnny. This board, heliohost.org, and the admin tools all share the same physical hardware as Johnny and suffer because of Johnny's load. It took me 15 minutes for me to check the admin tools to see if your account was gone since I kept timing out!

We did just buy some new hardware though, so this performance issue will eventually go away when the new box comes online. The new box is going to have Stevie's signup and load restrictions with Johnny's features, so those who need ASP.NET, Ruby, etc. have somewhere to go that isn't down all the time.

Also, note that the midnight time for Stevie is in U.S. Pacific Time. It appears you're in California, so it should actually be midnight for you. When I joined here 5 years ago, I had to get up at 3am to get my Stevie account (I'm an east coaster...). I know the limit is a pain, but it's the big reason Stevie is stable (the others are resource limits and fewer features).

Hi wolstech

I did finally get that page and I can't log in. I like the idea of free hosting, however, the account showed that it was active but yet I still got your default page while i put up an index page. That is not cool. I am looking around at alternatives, as I'm more than likely going to use another jaredrimer domain for the purpose I want, but still would like to host it offsite. I see you're in Pensylvania, which is the east coast. It did say midnight pacific time, which i assumed matched me via PC's time. Right now, I've got everything hosted in one place, but I think for what I'm building, it needs to be hosted offsite. I'm sorry that Johnny didn't work for me, because I'm trying to develope and i may need a testing ground first, and when I put up my index page, it didn't even show up. I'm surprised you guys couldn't just move the account, I had to delete and start all over again. I like the idea of the sub-domain for testing, then bringing a domain onboard when you're ready, but couldn't even do that.

The account isn't actually active when it says it is. "Active" means cpanel is active, which takes a few hours in most cases. The DNS on Johnny takes up to week (currently about 4 days...). Stevie takes a day. After that, you have to clear your browser cache to get rid of that default page and see your index page.

We can't move the account for many reasons. Just deleting it and making you register again eliminates one of the two DNS updates (and associated wait time) that you'd experience (the first one is canceled when you delete if it hasn't happened already), the risks associated with human error and the time lost while moving accounts (everyone who runs Heliohost is volunteer), along with the abuse that comes from people signing up for Johnny with the intention of asking to be moved to Stevie to get around our limit.

That is totally understandable. I was just hoping i could use it after a few days. Thats all. I intended to stay there, but seeing its performance made me change my mind. It shouldn't take 4 days for a web page for appearing. I knew it was slow, but didn't think it would be that slow. Smile.

Hello everyone,

I am just about done. I've created my site, uploaded it, but it is not working. When I go to jaredrimer.heliohost.org the site works. When I go to jaredrimer.com I'm greeted with your page that says the account is still being created. I pointed the domain as a parked domain, not an addon domain. I saw something on the web site about changing domain, if I changed from jaredrimer.heliohost.org to jaredrimer.com would it work better or would it screw me up? Want to test my form, but don't want to put the jaredrimer.heliohost.org as part of the referror. Any assistance would be great. So far, I'm liking what i see.

I don't see that domain in the system (only your jaredrimer.heliohost.org is associated with you right now), though that would be normal if you just added it today. I can't see it until the setup completes.

Verify that the domain is showing in cPanel under your parked domains (add it if not). It takes up to 24 hours from the time it's added for the DNS and Apache setup to complete for a new domain.

Domain setups are typically processed once a day on Stevie, so once it's added, it will get set up in the next cycle. When it starts working, I'll post back to let you know. :)