A Little Confused On Which Feature To Use For Subdomain Forwarding

dogboydog

Hi,

Basically, I want to point drawings.dogboydog.com to dogboydogdrawings.appspot.com, but if possible I want to keep the address the same. So if for example someone clicks the archive link and ends up at what is really dogboydogdrawings.appspot.com/archive, the address bar will show drawings.dogboydog.com/archive. I'm also fine with doing dogboydog.com/drawings instead of the subdomain if that's easier. I was able to redirect dogboydog.com/drawings to my appspot site, but not while masking the address.

Thank you

The way I'd try to do it: Make sure you don't have the subdomain added in cpanel. If you do, remove it and wait until it clears itself out. Then, use the advance dns editor to manually create a DNS record: name is drawings.dogboydog.com, type CNAME, value is dogboydogdrawings.appspot.com

Depending how appspot works, it may or may not be possible to do this (if they rely on host name to determine what to serve you, you'll get an error from appspot along the line of account doesn't exist or file not found).

I got it working!! I had to do some different steps in my Google App Engine developers console ( some of the instructions here https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/console/using-custom-domains-and-ssl#using_subdomains then I had to select unknown host since heliohost wasn't on the list, and add a custom CNAME record, and fiddle with some settings in the GAE console)

check it out: http://drawings.dogboydog.com. Works exactly how I wanted!

Thanks for the help.