decisions

Thats obvious, when the simply move out, turn 18, or decide to stick up for themselves.

Or at least that is what I think the the question was about, you need to make you questions a little clearer.

sorry, but i make the questions vague on purpose so i can see what others think about the topic...

anyways, do you really think you make your own decisions when you move away from your parents? let's say you go to college and you go to the food court...let's say you buy a bottle of apple juice...was that really your decision or was it made for you from what you learned in your childhood? didn't you pick the apple juice because you were fed it by your parents when you were a child and they told you it was good for you? would you ever pick out carrot juice to drink? of course your parent probably told you it was good for you, but most likely they never drank much of it, which means you never drank much of it...

basically, you learn through others' actions, and they learn from others' action, and so on...so did you really make any decisions or are they already made for you?

that might not have made sense since it's a little bit shaky in my head too...but let's see what everyone has to say about this so it becomes a little clearer...

::edit::

ok, a good example of what i'm trying to explain is how you responded to the "is there a God" topic...i feel that you've probably heard that type of questions before and heard someone respond to it in the way that you did...then it got hardwired into your brain and you automatically responded the way you did...

the reason i say this is because i've held many discussions like that in a group...some people in the group had no response and some did...some of the ones that did respond, did so in the same way you did, which i consider uncivilized and rude...after a while, some of the ones that didn't have a response, but felt like they had to put in "their" two cents, responded just like the uncivilized and rude people...im still not sure if this all makes any sense...but basically, i feel that it's hard to say that you are making your own choices when it's easy to see that it's just mimicry...

i can see that a good argument against this is that you chose what to believe..but did you really? how can we be sure that everything we choose isn't biased in terms of your past experiences?

To me, you start making your own decision around the age of 5. How you make them, and why change over your lifetime according to how you are raised. Just my opinion.

you've got me thinking...and i'd have to agree with you..as young children, we do make our own decisions. for example, if we've experienced the taste of chocolate and the taste of broccoli, most kids would pick chocolate over broccoli the next time they have a choice...but as we grow up, we are taught that chocolate isn't really good for you so we tend to have it as a guilty pleasure...

O.K. I see now, around 3-4 we begin to make our own decisions, thats the age we first learn to lie.

I think that our decisions are influenced by a combination of our character and upbringing.

It is a fact those with drunk dads are more likely to (unconsciousnessly) be or marry drunks.

Same goes with parents who do drugs and who cheat. The girl may not marry a drunk per say, but the she guy marrys will probably turn out to be a drunk, even if it's twenty years before it happens.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it depends what your definition of a decision is. You could say a baby crying because it's hungry is a decision. Although you could say a decision is something thats life changing, like deciding on a career or even deciding to go to the movies.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the gravedigging, but I actually find this topic to be very interesting.

Deciding is nothing more but an illusion. Why? Every single choice you make is the effect of a complex chemical reaction (at a neurological level) which takes into consideration past events and so on. Technically speaking, you have as much power to decide as the people inside a movie. You're just moving along watching the events unfold around you.

Same for other influences, we can't EVER make a choice "on our own" since there are a million different factors that are considered when making that decision. Even for the smallest things, you will always take into consideration a multitude of factors.

If you take the words for their literal meaning, you never quite make "your own" decisions. On a simple line of thought though, I believe the moment you learn anything, you are making a decision, the moment you are guided by knowledge and not instinct. It'd be hard to draw the line, but it's only after a couple weeks of birth I'd believe. On the other hand, making decisions properly and evaluating outcomes fully are only established until about age 15 as a minimum, while some people may never achieve that level of though.

• 3 weeks later...