FireFox VS Internet Explorer

Microsoft is oriented towards customers, or else it wouldn't be number one in the OS industry.

They are oriented in the costumer in the way which gets them the most profit. They are oriented towards the costumer, but they make the people who write applications for the costumers go through hoops just to make them compatible.

EDIT: Also, I'm beginning to use opera a lot more.

But why then are there more programs compatible with the PC as opposed to the Mac platform?

- ArceRC

- Van

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why then are there more programs compatible with the PC as opposed to the Mac platform?

Same reason why IBM used to be the de facto standard in computing.

Most big corporations and businesses are oriented in such a way that they will do whatever makes them the most profit and will watch, but not act on, alternatives unless they prove to be profitable. That is why some programs are beginning to have Mac ports.

If we take a look around, we can see that we are on the edge of yet another paradigm shift in computing. Firefox and the rest of the open source movement are receiving attention from the mass market. Firefox continues to burn away at Microsoft's IE market share and will continue to do so until IE stops sucking. IE8 doesn't exactly sound promising. Check it out.

IE runs faster than FF because IE is owned by Microsoft and is a built-in browser for windows. FF i think is more secure though because microsoft products are much targeted by viruses and other stuffs.

IE run faster in windows of course. But i do prefer FF.. :P

IE runs faster than FF because IE is owned by Microsoft and is a built-in browser for windows. FF i think is more secure though because microsoft products are much targeted by viruses and other stuffs.

IE run faster in windows of course. But i do prefer FF.. :P

IE boots faster, but that doesn't mean that it browses faster. You are party correct in saying that part of the reason why Firefox is more secure is that script kiddies are trying to nail the n00bs in IE. However, Firefox is also just more secure by nature of it's code. IE has lots of security holes.

Same reason why IBM used to be the de facto standard in computing.

Most big corporations and businesses are oriented in such a way that they will do whatever makes them the most profit and will watch, but not act on, alternatives unless they prove to be profitable. That is why some programs are beginning to have Mac ports.

If we take a look around, we can see that we are on the edge of yet another paradigm shift in computing. Firefox and the rest of the open source movement are receiving attention from the mass market. Firefox continues to burn away at Microsoft's IE market share and will continue to do so until IE stops sucking. IE8 doesn't exactly sound promising. Check it out.

So what your saying is: Many businesses are starting to see that they may be more profitable on the Mac

platform? I understand that there many more examples such as your browser comparison.

If this is the case, would it be possible to say that Microsoft might get their act together and produce a ground-breaking

IE?

- ArceRC

- Van

I used to IE6 but then found firefox and found this really good to use, I tried to download IE7 but that just keeps mesisng up on my computer. What I hate though that when I'm designing websites they look different on each browser and that's really annoying as I'm not an expert in web desing, I jts make simple websites.

• 4 weeks later...

What is it that draws people to FireFox, and then leads them to believe that it is so much better than I.E.?

After looking at that chart, I thought to myself, "Is it purely word of mouth that makes people believe

this nonsense?"

:wacko:

- ArceRC

- Van

Nonsense? Firefox had tabbed browsing before IE, it supports the w3c standard better than IE, and has a heck of a lot less security holes than IE.

Not to mention it is cross platform, isn't ran by a corporation, and it has a REALLY cool mascot/logo. I mean come on? a flaming fox vs. a blue E? Firefox, ftw.

I'm saying that corporations are starting to believe that they'll be more profitable if they build for multiple platforms.

isn't ran by a corporation

Mozilla Corporation.

Let me rephrase that, it's not ran by Microsoft. Also, it was the Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit, that launched Mozilla corp.

Also, it was the Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit, that launched Mozilla corp.

Well aware of that fact. The Mozilla Foundation bigwigs figured they weren't making enough money for themselves, so they launched a for-profit corporation under the Mozilla Foundation.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely FF.

Open source software always get its advantages.

The main weakness of FF is just not widely supported as IE,

but if you've been went through w3.org, or a real-experienced programmer

you will realize that only FF match the standard of w3 programming standard

The main reason I like FF is those add-ons provided..

I can personalize my FF, with own download manager, email notifer, itunes, everything you can imagine!