Will Stevie Php Be Updated?

altera

We have 5.4 on Johnny. I don't know when Stevie will be updated, but it will be after we verify that 5.4 is stable on Johnny (so probably a few weeks at best, never at worst).

Thanks for the info, would've used johnny but it had so much lag and downtime I transfered to stevie

We have 5.4 on Johnny. I don't know when Stevie will be updated, but it will be after we verify that 5.4 is stable on Johnny (so probably a few weeks at best, never at worst).

Thanks for the info, would've used johnny but it had so much lag and downtime I transfered to stevie

• 3 weeks later...

Versions seem a bit dated since 5.5 stable was released over 2 years ago and 5.6 almost a year now. I fully realize the caution a host must take in adopting updated versions, but in contrast, Helio's appeal to me originally was that it touted itself as more of a testing ground for web programmers rather than just an alternative to paid hosting. Any chance of 5.6 appearing on a server in the near future?

No chance on 5.6. The most you'll be seeing in the near future will be 5.4 on Stevie. At some point in the future we probably will get 5.5 on Johnny.

The deprecation of mysql() functions is one of the big roadblocks, as a LARGE number of users on our servers are using software that relies on these and other deprecated functions. These programs will generate deprecation notices or other errors when updated.

The 5.4 update broke sites on Johnny...and coming from 5.3.23 it was quite minor in contrast to 5.5 and 5.6.

You mean software like frameworks using deprecated functions? Ok I understand maintaining backward compatibility, not sure why the php development team has to deprecate highly used functions to create such havoc. I swear, trying to program in php is about as annoying as developing for Android in terms of having to cater to the lowest supported version. *sigh*

Pretty much. Backward compat is one of our bigger motivations, stability being the other.

And yeah, PHP development is something where you're better off targeting old versions. I actually have a custom PHP app that I recently back ported from PHP 5.3.8 to PHP 5.2.x after someone wanted to use it on an even older server. :-/