[Answered] Main Domain Change Question...

skullys

If you're selling your .com domain, you're probably best off changing it to something like skully.heliohost.org. Any domains you get later can be added as parked/addon later on. The main domain cannot be a subdomain that's already in your account unless you remove it first.

Skully.com itself will show an indefinite Queued page if you change your main domain since the server won't know what it belongs to anymore.

Any subdomains in your account that's of the form "subdomain.skully.com" might or might not work once you change the main domain, I've never tried that. If they do, I can say that cP won't let you add new ones since the parent is not on your account. The domain and its subdomains definitely won't work once you sell the domain since the new owner will likely change the NS's.

I already have another domain which I plan to use once the skully.com domain sale is finalized.

The new domain is skullythepirate.com which at this time is listed as a subdomain of skully.com.

If I remove the skullythepirate.com subdomain and then relist it as the main domain (using the Heliohost change main domain script) will my account /cpanel remain valid? Will it allow me to access my existing account using my current ID and password and will it then allow me to relist my other subdomains if necessary?

I understand that once the new owner redirects the domain to new NS's that everything I have connected to that domain will no longer work.

What I am trying to avoid is losing access to my established Heliohost account and having to create an entirely new one on Heliohost.

A seamless transition as far as my "live" web sites are concerned with little or no disruption due to the Main Domain change.

Sale of the skully.com domain will take place sometime next week and I just want to have everything in place beforehand.

By changing the Main Domain in advance of the sale, it would allow me to then list skully.com as a subdomain of skullythepirate.com and then simply delete the subdomain once the sale goes through.

A regular domain cannot be added as a subdomain...do you mean it's a parked domain or an addon domain? If it truly is a subdomain, it'd be skullythepirate.skully.com...and the opposite you're planning would be skully.skullythepirate.com. Neither makes sense.

You need to remove any reference to the new domain if you want to make it your main domain.

I'd recommend you use something like skully.heliohost.org as your main domain though, and just add skullythepirate.com as a "Parked Domain". A parked domain is functionally the same as your main domain, it shows the same content, and you can access cpanel through it.

Sorry for the confusion... skullythepirate.com is currently an addon domain

While I appreciate your suggestion, My preference is to use a domain I already own as the main domain rather than utilizing a free heliohost.org one.

So my question... Would listing skullythepirate.com as the main domain (with the understanding it would have to be removed from the add on list prior to changing to main domain) allow me to retain my current Heliohost account / Cpanel / and Password?

Yes. Your username will never change unless you manually delete and recreate your account. Your password won't change unless you change it. Your main domain has no effect on either...in fact, it can be invalid or (in theory) blank and the rest of your account will still work fine.

If you want to make skullythepirate.com your main domain, remove it from addon domains, then remove the related subdomain under the subdomains page (cP might remove them on its own, but make sure they're gone), then change your main domain and wait 24 hours.