[Solved] How Do I Access Files In Cgi-Bin

tonyalep

Hi, I have a perl application that I have moved to to my domain at heliohost.org and I am trying to browse as follows: http://tonyalepski.h...gi-bin/login.pl and I am getting the following error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@tonyalepski.heliohost.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The login.pl file is under www/cgi-bin/ Please help, thanks Tonya.

All cgi/perl files need to have permissions 755. I went ahead and chmoded your login.pl to 755 for you and it's returning an error now:

http://tonyalepski.heliohost.org/cgi-bin/login.pl

Just so you know cgi/perl is working on your site, I created a simple date/time page and you can find it here:

http://tonyalepski.heliohost.org/cgi-bin/date.pl

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick reply, the error I am getting now indicates that perl module CGI::Session is not installed on your server, so my next question is what do I do about it, can you please install it ?. Another thing is that I would be uploading many perl files under cgi-bin folder so can you please chmod the folder with -R option so all the files automatically inherit the required permission. Many many thanks for your help !! Regards Tonya

Thanks for your quick reply, the error I am getting now indicates that perl module CGI::Session is not installed on your server, so my next question is what do I do about it, can you please install it ?.

You can install it from your cpanel. Go to your cpanel and look for Perl Modules and then do a search for "CGI::Session". Follow the instructions you see at your cpanel.

Another thing is that I would be uploading many perl files under cgi-bin folder so can you please chmod the folder with -R option so all the files automatically inherit the required permission. Many many thanks for your help !! Regards Tonya

I'm not sure we can do that per user folders. I'll escalate this to Krydos and see if he knows.

I just edited the file login.pl and getting the first error again i.e. The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@tonyalepski.heliohost.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. You will need to chmod it again, there should be a way that all files in cgi-bin get the needed permission automatically !!! Thanks Tonya.

There's no need to chmod the file more than once. It won't change it's permissions unless you change them. You can check and change your file permissions at your cpanel File Manager. The error I'm seeing is a coding error:

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at login.pl line 29

post-3265-0-25651300-1407239173_thumb.png

To change the permissions on files you can use the file manager in cpanel or change the permissions through FTP. You don't need an admin to change your permissions for you since you can do it yourself. Let us know if you're having any trouble figuring out how and we can provide further instruction.