[Solved] Suspended: Toast

burnedtoast

Your account was suspended for causing high server load. I have unsuspended your account, but please try to limit the load you put on our servers as it slows down not only your site, but the sites of all other HelioHost users sharing your server.

If you still see the suspended page, please clear your cache.

I got my account suspended last time because they said it caused a load on the server. But yet less than 10 people will visit the site in half a year, so what can it be?

You have to realize that there are two types of load that we monitor: Sustained load (which is what you seem to be describing) and spike load (which is what you were suspended for.) Sustained load is where a site has thousands of visitors per hour and each visitor increases the load they put on the server by a small amount and over time that account ends up being the highest load on the server. You did not get suspended for that. Spike load is where one account causes a lot of load for a brief period of time. Their overall sustained load might be very small, but if that one user single handedly causes the server's load to spike above reasonable levels it still causes downtime and slow response times for all of the thousands of other users. Certain types of scripts tend to cause high spikes of load than others. Any script that uses curl or another function and connects to another server, web proxies, file transfer scripts, scripts that download torrents to the server, etc.

The file that caused the spike in load that got your account suspended both times now is:

/home1/toast/public_html/toast/index.php

Which, unsurprisingly, is a webproxy. First of all webproxies aren't illegal on Heliohost. What is illegal is causing downtime or slow response time for other users. Stevie, as our stable server, is set a little more sensitive on these types of automated suspensions so that we can maintain a high level of service to our users that need reliable uptime, fast response times, and a stable server.

Here are some options that you can consider:

1. Stop hosting a webproxy because there are literally millions of free ones available elsewhere on the internet anyways.
  2. Only use your proxy when the overall server load is low because it will reduce your chances of being suspended.
  3. Use your webproxy whenever you want, and stop caring whether you get suspended for causing too much load with it.
  4. Transfer your account to Johnny where your chance of being suspended for high load is much much lower.

Okay, well I had no idea that a spike could cause downtime like that. As for my webproxy, that is probably the most popular part of my site an I remember using it a lot during December because I needed to access the Facebook API Docs from school. I find that all other webproxies I try to use are also found by the firewall software used at my school. I'll try to limit it's usage and tell my friends to cool it or I'll just password protect it. I used to be on Johnny and I just find that I enjoy the stability and some libraries offered by Stevie to be much better.