[Answered] Perl Scripted Daemon And Crontab

unnk

Hello! Im inquiring about your services. Do you allow perl scripts to be run from your webservers and is there a crontab? Im looking for a domain service that will allow me to install and run a perl scripted daemon from it, this daemon will listen on a udp port for logs from my game server and it will redirect them to a sql database on another domain I already own.

We do! Take a look at http://www.heliohost.org/home/features/languages/perl for information on running Perl scripts on HelioHost. We also do have a crontab, but please keep in mind that users are limited to running two cron jobs per day. If you need more cron, I suggest using a free service such as setcronjob.com.

As for listening on a UDP port, please try to use a port that is already open. If you must have a different port open, you may post in Customer Service requesting your port to be opened, along with a statement of what exactly you will be using it for and why you can't use a port already open.

Thank you for the fast response! My scripted daemon can use any udp port I set via the .conf file, so any udp port that is open will work. The daemon will just be grabbing the log data being streamed from my game server and passing it to a external domain for SQL database entry. This is good to hear as the daemon uses little to no bandwidth. I currently have to run the daemon from my pc which causes me to keep my pc on 24/7. With the cronjob limit, does that mean hourly jobs arent possible? Or does that mean i could run a 30 min or hourly job as long as there is just 1 job line?

Edited by unnk

With the cronjob limit, does that mean hourly jobs arent possible? Or does that mean i could run a 30 min or hourly job as long as there is just 1 job line?

Two executions per day. An hourly job is 24 executions per day. If you have a single job, it can be run twice a day at most.

If you need to run something more frequently than that, you'll need other ways to launch it. I'm not sure if setcronjob.com could do it or not.

alright ill start scanning some port ranges, do you also allow the setup of mod_perl 1 or 2? Im trying to install the Geoip and Geo::ip modules but Geo::ip is dependent on Geoip which is dependent on mod_perl being installed