[Answered] Dns A-Record To Stevie Server Possible?

zbrom

Hello, I was just wondering if it is possible to do an A-Record to the stevie server? I already own a TLD, and had set the account up with my .com. I would prefer to not have to change nameservers if at all possible. Thanks

May have found a solution. I changed the account to a different domain (.tk), then added an A-Record to my (.com), which points to that IP.

Some basic instruction would be excellent. My site is just now activated: www.ghorr.tk I would like to use an A-Record method if it all possible with my (.com). I was considering using a CNAME as a last resort; my concern lies with what might happen if (.tk) went down. Please let me know what your method entails. Thanks!

Some basic instruction would be excellent. My site is just now activated: www.ghorr.tk I would like to use an A-Record method if it all possible with my (.com).

The following worked for me, no guarantees it will work for you. You need to use the domain with the A record as your account's main domain. If you already are using your main domain, you can't host a domain with an A record.

First, log into cPanel and look on the left hand side to find your shared IP address (it's in the column with the space meter, towards the bottom). Create an A record on your domain that points to that IP address. Then, use the change domain script to set your account's main domain to the domain that you put the A record on. Wait 24 hours for the queued page to go away.

I was considering using a CNAME as a last resort; my concern lies with what might happen if (.tk) went down. Please let me know what your method entails. Thanks!

Funny you'd mention that. I was using CNAMEs and this happened to me this past week. Dot.tk pulled a domain out of under me for some reason and everything pointed to it started serving a fake firefox update (malware). Don't do this!

Wow; that's amazing that will work. When you try to simply change the add-on domains in cpanel, no success; however when using the domain change script, it actually processes the request!! I'm going to begin on this assumption, make an A-Record for the root domain, www, and ftp. Did you need to do this for any other component? I use my own MX records, so that is not an issue. I think I got everything; time to wait lol. Thanks again! B)

By the way, that's insane (.tk) would do that! Fortunately, I haven't had that issue with them yet, but I'm glad to be using a paid TLD now. Thanks again for the help.

Wow; that's amazing that will work. When you try to simply change the add-on domains in cpanel, no success; however when using the domain change script, it actually processes the request!! I'm going to begin on this assumption, make an A-Record for the root domain, www, and ftp. Did you need to do this for any other component? I use my own MX records, so that is not an issue. I think I got everything; time to wait lol. Thanks again!

Nope. The ftp record is unnecessary (just use yourdomain.com), and the www one may not work. The server usually wants exactly what is set as your main domain.

By the way, that's insane (.tk) would do that! Fortunately, I haven't had that issue with them yet, but I'm glad to be using a paid TLD now. Thanks again for the help.

I'm not the only one...there's hundreds of users who've complained about this. What's odd is there's no real rhyme or reason for which domains they pull. My main site is on a free .tk domain and has been for years without issue. It sees lots of traffic daily. The one that got pulled was registered 2 months ago and existed mainly to be a CNAME target.

The biggest complaint with them is that their "sponsors" mostly seem to be the adult industry and malware authors. My domain is currently distributing fake firefox updates and has offered me "free" pr0n numerous times.

If this were my main website, I'd probably be thinking about a lawsuit.