[Answered] Subdomain Not Working

guildwebmaster

I created the subdomain classifieds.rentersguild.com which is to be located at rentersguild.com/rent but displayed as of course the subdomain. Instead of it routing correctly it goes to www.rentersguild.com. Please help fix this, preferably without another 24 hour queing. Also please provide laymens instructions if I need to do anything that isn't point and click. Thank you for your help.

Domain: rentersguild.com

username: guid83

Subdomain: classifieds.rentersguild.com

Location of subdomain: http://rentersguild.com/rent

Also it has been more than 24 hours already. Thanks again for any help.

P.S. I don't want to set it up as a redirect.

Please post the contents of the following files:

/home/<username>/.htaccess

/home/<username>/public_html/.htaccess

/home/<username>/public_html/rent/.htaccess

I suspect it has nothing to do with the server or 24 hours, but rather a syntax error in your ModRewrite rules.

Files that start with a period (.) in linux are hidden files, so make sure you have the checkbox to view hidden files enabled in order to see .htaccess

Heliohost staff members will never nor can ever require your password for any reason. Anyone who asks for your password is likely not a staff member, but rather a scam to gain access to your data. Do not ever give your password to anyone for any reason.

For: /home/guild83/public_html/.htaccess

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d

RewriteRule ^ - [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]

RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# BEGIN WordPress

&--#60;IfModule mod_rewrite.c&--#62;

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

&--#60;/IfModule&--#62;

# END WordPress

There isn't a .htaccess for /home/guild83

For /home/guild83/public_html/rent/.htaccess

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /rent/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /rent/index.php [L]

</IfModule>

Edited by guildwebmaster

Instead of it routing correctly it goes to www.rentersguild.com.

And what do you mean by routing correctly? Is it supposed to display the same thing as rentersguild.com/rent but show classifieds.rentersguild.com in the url bar? Or is it supposed to show rentersguild.com/rent in the url bar when you go to classifieds.rentersguild.com? I get that it's probably not supposed to go to www.rentersguild.com.

I believe the reason your subdomain is behaving the way it is is because you installed osclass to rentersguild.com/rent instead of installing it to the subdomain. Try removing the install through softaculous, and then reinstall it but this time choose the corect subdomain that you want it to work as.

Yes, as current root administrator, of course I have access to anything on any of the four servers that I want. However, you can fix this yourself. It's your account not mine. If there is something wrong with the server that is the stuff that gets highest priority for my time. This is just a software/code error.

One of my personal policies I try to keep in mind as an administrator is,

"If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day; if you teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime."

I could just give you a fish by fixing this for you, but what about the next time you don't know how to do something? If you just learn how to do this stuff yourself you won't have to bother anyone else for help, and you might even become a contributing member of the Heliohost community by being able to help others. That's the reason this service is free, because it's run by volunteers helping each other. Most of us were just as or more clueless than you feel right now when we started, but we were willing to learn. Once we had learned enough we were able to pay back the community that taught us so much by helping the next generation of newbies.