[Answered] Email Sending Limit

ExtremeGaming

Hello. Regarding the 50 email sending limit, does the limit reset at midnight, or does one email get removed from the limit 24 hours from the sent time?

For example:

If a site sent an email today at 12:00 pm. Would the count be reset at midnight, or would that one email be removed from the count 24 hours later? I'm trying to set a daily sign up limit to coincide with the email sending limit.

I believe it's the latter, Krydos would probably be against specifying in case some ne'er-do-well reads this and tries working around it, but better safe than sorry; the second case has no chance of getting you suspended, unless of course your email is flagged as spam.

Honestly, the 50 emails per day recommendation is an arbitrary number that was set up as a guideline to discourage spammers from abusing our service. Free webhosting attracts the worst of the internet like a flame attracts a moth. 50 emails per day sounds like a lot for most normal users, but it's basically nothing for an email spammer that might want to send 50,000 emails in an hour. Since we respect the privacy of our users and don't snoop on the contents of the emails that are being sent the only tool we have to fight spam is monitoring the rate of outgoing emails.

Since you mention limiting the number of accounts created per day I suspect you're worried about exceeding the emails per day limit due to new accounts being created on your site. I've found that a better way to limit the number of emails that your account sends is by setting up stricter bot prevention. Some common forum and CMS software can easily by spammed up by thousands of bots each day causing high load and sending tons of emails even if you have a captcha. Setting up some unique way to prevent bots from automatically creating accounts goes a long way towards solving the underlying problem rather than just trying to fix a single symptom.