[Answered] Question About Multiple Account Policy

peey

on heliohost wiki i read about multiple account policy and possible ban on violation. this wouldn't apply if i were to sign up a client of mine for their website, would it?

the content would be independent of each other i.e. there would be no duplicate content on the websites, its just that i will have access to that account's cpanel for management purposes.

In your case you don't need multiple accounts, your client's site could be used as an addon domain. You can manage both your site and your client's site from the same cPanel and each site would have unique content.

single account would limit the disk space available and also other resources. since there are two different sites owned by different parties for two different purposes featuring different stuff, with only one thing in common - me as developer, can i not be granted permission to access two different accounts without getting banned? i love the vast array of features offered by heliohost and for the samr reason i recommended it to my client who were otherwise using a database restricted paid shared hosting plan. i'm more than sure that they have signed up on heliohost already.

single account would limit the disk space available and also other resources.

You don't need multiple accounts to host multiple websites. Needing more disk space is not a valid reason to create multiple accounts.

There is no other resource that we explicitly restrict and 500mb of extra space are currently up for grabs.

different ownership of websites also isnt a valid reason for multiple accounts?

i would like to explain with an example - when me and my client's contract will be over, (i supply to them with a working website catering to their needs) , they or i may or may not want to continue the working relationship. in that sense me and my client arn't co-dependent on each other and having same account dosent make sense.

looking at the situation in another way, there are two guys (me and my client) with two different heliohost accounts. i want to access their cpanel without getting any of us in trouble. i think this should be ok since this isnt a case of multi-accounting or resource hoarding.

As you can probably imagine offering all of these features and 99.8%+ uptime and all this great customer support for free can -- and often does -- lead to people trying to take advantage of it. Like Shinryuu said the only thing we really limit is disk space so a lot of people get the infinitely brilliant (sarcasm) idea that if they create an unlimited number of accounts they can have unlimited disk space too. We don't have unlimited disk space to offer on our servers, nor do we have an unlimited amount of cash on hand to keep adding more and more hard drives each time we start to get low on space. Probably because we offer our service for free. So, if someone ties up our whole hard drive with 10 gigabytes or whatever of their random data it isn't really fair to all the other users who are following the rules, and now no longer have any space left for their legitimate websites. I explain all this because in order fairly enforce a rule one must fully understand the reason for the rule to exist in the first place.

I can understand why it would be more attractive of a deal for your client to be able to take the website you set up and created for him, and if he no longer wants you to maintain it he can find someone else to maintain it for him or even maintain it himself. If you and your client want to have separate accounts that are both logged into and maintained (for now) by you we can allow it, but there will be a few extra stipulations:

1. PM or Email me the following information about yourself: First name, last name, address (home or business), business name (if address is business), email address, and phone number.
  2. PM or Email me the following information about the client: First name, last name, address (home or business), business name (if address is business), email address, and phone number.
  3. No crosslinking of data files between accounts. A small "created by soandso" signature link and one image is fine, but hosting 500 MB of videos, images, or whatever on the second account would violate the multi-account rule explained above.

Only the Heliohost staff (moderators and administrators) would have access to the personal info, and we would simply use it to verify that you are indeed two separate people. We never sell or distribute in anyway any personal information that we receive about our accounts. Obviously, you'll want to make sure your client is ok with you providing his information, or he can provide it himself directly.

If you or your client would like to email me the data let me know and I can PM or email you the email address to send it to. If you go ahead and PM me the data make sure you remember to post on this thread letting me know that I have a new message because otherwise I will never check it.

Finally, I would like to explain why I am willing to take on this extra work in order for you to create a second account for your client. Heliohost spends exactly $0 on advertising. All of our advertising comes from word of mouth, and social media. You are doing exactly what we need to grow and evolve: You found us, decided we were pretty decent, and now you're telling others to try us out too. If you know anyone else that needs what we offer feel free to tell them too. If they are a criminal, a scammer, or a silly kid that thinks it's funny to try to crash our servers you can just give them a smack for me and tell them to try some other webhosting, but if they aren't any of the above we'd appreciate the referral.

thanks for the generous offer. i'll discuss it with my client and let you know asap!

PS i'm new to heliohost and havn't really spent much time here, but if i find it good esp. stevie's uptime gurantee, i'll sure as heck put up a link to heliohost on my site! since i myself found the link to heliohost on some old dusty stackoverflow post ranked somewhere on second page of google search of words similar to 'free postgres hosting external database connection'. in other words, not a lot of people can find this awesome site and i'd love to help you improve on that.