[Answered] One Of My Site's Picture Disappeared Suspiciously

DAKSH101

Today I found out that one of my site's picture got disappeared and I couldn't find it in the proper directory where it suppose to be. I found out because it's my slider image. Is there anything got deleted with it? If it was deleted then I didn't do it. How it happened?

The only reason Heliohost staff would delete any files from a user's account was if that file showed up as containing malware by our scanner. Even then we would first suspend the account without changing anything at all, then when the user is ready to fix the problem the account is unsuspended for 24 hours, and if the malware is still there at the end of the 24 hour period the account is once again suspended, and this time the offending file or files are deleted. Since your account has never been suspended for malware this doesn't apply to you and there is no way any member of the Heliohost staff would have deleted any of your files.

Another explanation would be if the file system was corrupted and your file happened to be located on the exact portion that was corrupted. Then when the file system scan passed over the corrupted part it would recover whatever data it could into a lost+found directory, and your file may or may not be recoverable depending on how much data was lost. However, the last filesystem scan on Stevie was about 80 days ago, and your account has only existed for 21 days.

If you're running an older version of a CMS or some other vulnerable software on your site it's possible some bot or script kiddie found your site and messed things up for you. If this is the case I would recommend upgrading to a non-vulnerable version or fixing any security holes that you may have.

Who knows, I could keep going with theories for quite a while, but the fact of the matter is nothing stored on a computer is ever permanent. Maybe you left a FTP client open and your cat ran across the keyboard and deleted the file. The world may never know what happened, but the world does know that it's always a good idea to keep backups of everything. Just restore your image from your latest backup, and if it happens again spend even more effort trying to figure out how it got deleted, but I can assure you that none of us did it. ^_^

1. I don't have any malware in directory or else my account would be suspended.

2. I really don't have any ideas about that part though i'm a linux user.

3. I'm using updated drupal.

4. Lol I don't have a cat neither dog. But I'd love to have a puppy.

And thanks for the backup suggestion I already started doing it right after the file disappeared.