[Solved] Install Gem With Specific Version - Ruby On Rails

anonymousxxx

Hi,

I'm doing installation gem of ruby on rails, I have problem when i would install gem 'pg' (gem postgresql), I have error

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing pg:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for pg_config... yes
Using config values from /usr/bin/pg_config
checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
checking for libpq/libpq-fs.h... yes
checking for pg_config_manual.h... yes
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lpq... yes
checking for PQconnectionUsedPassword()... no
Your PostgreSQL is too old. Either install an older version of this gem or upgrade your database.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

A problem with PostgreSQL version being too old and to support the version of gem that we had specified but I don't know how install via gem with specific version via form "Install a Ruby Gem" on cpanel..

Any solutions?

Thank's

Regard's

anonymousxxx

The system claims we're already using the latest version of postgresql even though there are obviously newer versions available. They must be too cutting edge for our current settings, and they're filtered out.

Here are the available versions of pg:

pg (0.14.1 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.14.0 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.13.2 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.13.1 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.13.0 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.12.2 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.12.1, 0.12.0 ruby x86-mingw32, 0.11.0 ruby x86-mingw32 x86-mswin32, 0.10.1, 0.10.0, 0.9.0 ruby x86-mingw32 x86-mswin32, 0.8.0 ruby x86-mswin32-60, 0.7.9.2008.10.13, 0.7.9.2008.10.05, 0.7.9.2008.08.17, 0.7.9.2008.03.18, 0.7.9.2008.02.05, 0.7.9.2008.01.28)

Starting at the newest and working backwards the first one that doesn't claim postgresql is too old is pg-0.13.1 which is now installed. You should be able to see it in your cPanel under installed Gems.

Starting at the newest and working backwards the first one that doesn't claim postgresql is too old is pg-0.13.1 which is now installed. You should be able to see it in your cPanel under installed Gems.

thanks Admin for the fast response. I hope heliohost using postgresql version 9.1 in the future.

Sorry OOT, by the way, Why not use the rails version 3.2.12 ?

3.2.11 is the newest release, and being on the cutting edge is not a practical policy for an organization with a massive amount of users. If we went and had the latest and greatest software packages right after release then we'd have no idea what bugs exist in that package when used on our particular systems, we may accidentally break hundreds of users' sites that way.

3.2.11 is the newest release, and being on the cutting edge is not a practical policy for an organization with a massive amount of users. If we went and had the latest and greatest software packages right after release then we'd have no idea what bugs exist in that package when used on our particular systems, we may accidentally break hundreds of users' sites that way.

I know it will make most of the users heliohost with the site-based rails version 2.xx will be disrupted and cause inconvenience users.

But whether it will always continue to sit with the old version? While the open source applications ruby on rails continues to grow.

version 3.2.12, 3.1.11, 2.3.17 have been release ..

Just a suggestion verison rails on system preferably updated to rails version 2.3.17 is security fixed.

thanks