[Answered] Access Database From Home Pc

Bervanjack

Hello,

Firstly, apologises if this is the wrong place to ask this question - please feel free to move or remove this post if it is.

I have been using HelioNet to host a remote database and would like to use a java (or a python or similar script) to access it.

In would like to develop this applet on my home PC before uploading to a web site, could anyone please advise me on what I need to add to my script to access the database and any changes I need to make to the server settings in order to query the database.

Thanks

Richard

Well, it's hard to tell you any specifics since you didn't post your username, domain, or server, but in general you need to enable remote connections to MySQL through cPanel. You can either put a % to allow connections from all IPs, or for more security you can specify just one IP address that will be allowed to connect.

Then from your external program it needs to connect to the host stevie.heliohost.org or johnny.heliohost.org depending on which server your account is located. Port will be 3306 for either. Username will be either your cPanel username, or for more security I would recommend creating a user with only the access you will need on the database and it would be in the form jack_external if your cPanel username was jack, for instance. Then the database that you connect to will be similarly prefixed with jack_databasename. Obviously the password will be whatever you created when you created the database user. Depending on the language that you use the syntax can vary a bit. Just let us know if you're having problems, and we can help more.