[Answered] Cannot Receive Email

fsps

I'm managing a website for a non-profit and as such, we are not providing email accounts for our members. We do, however, want our website to look professional, so I'd like to have emailaddr@mydomain.com availble to receive emails. I have set up appropriate forwarders, but when I try to send email from my personal account, I get a response "Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address. <email@mydomain>: Mail server for "mydomain" unreachable for too long" after about 24 hours. I have already set up an account for email@mydomain and a forwarder from email@mydomain to another account where I receive emails without a problem. Do I have to set something else in my account to receive emails?

This is the first website that I'm administering and I'm sure there is a simple answer that I'm missing. I've been trying to read about email settings for about 3 weeks and have not found anything relevant. I can rtfm, I just can't seem to find right manual. Any pointers?

If it helps, I just tested sending and receiving email on both Stevie and Johnny and all four messages arrived to their destinations within seconds of being sent. So email seems to be working fine. Have you checked all of your spam filters or tried sending to a different email address? My tests were done to and from a gmail address.

So I did some testing this morning... Sending from my heliohost account is no problem. Receiving at addonDomain.myDomain,heliohost.org is no problem. I'd like to be able to receive emails at addonDomain.org. More specifically, I'd like emails to bob@addonDomain.org to go to a different inbox than jimmy@addonDomain.org, not just to a "catch-all" inbox. Is this what the Email Domain Forwarder would do?

More specifically, I'd like emails to bob@addonDomain.org to go to a different inbox than jimmy@addonDomain.org, not just to a "catch-all" inbox. Is this what the Email Domain Forwarder would do?

To continue your example: when you use cPanel to create new email accounts for Bob and Jimmy on yourdomain.org they'll have totally separate inboxes. After account creation tell Bob to visit webmail.yourdomain.org to see his inbox and use as he chooses using the credentials [user: bob@yourdomain.org | pass: the_pass_you_used_to_set_up_bob's_account] and do similarly with jimmy@yourdomain.org. Bob and Jimmy won't see each others email unless someone carbon copies an email to both.

Oops, sorry I wasn't clear on my question. The problem seems to be with my addon domain. I can receive emails to addonDomain.myDomain.heliohost.org, but not addonDomain.org. The website for addonDomain.org is coming up fine, so the dns seems to be working. I also set up an email account for test@addonDomain.org which has not received any of the emails I have sent there. Is there a special setup for getting emails to an addonDomain?

Is there a special setup for getting emails to an addonDomain?

Nope.

...my addon domain. ... addonDomain.myDomain.heliohost.org, ... addonDomain.org. ... addonDomain.org ... test@addonDomain.org ...

addondomain.org is obviously not the domain we're talking about. Perhaps if you told us the actual domain you're talking about we could help you more.

Perhaps if you told us the actual domain you're talking about we could help you more.

My account is fsdemo.heliohost.org. My addon domain is fieldstationkids.org. I need to be able to receive emails at fieldstationkids.org

For some reason you've got your A record set to 199.34.228.58 on that domain which isn't going to work because that's not even a Heliohost IP. You can see your current A record with this link http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/php/tools/dns_records.php?domain=fieldstationkids.org&rec=A

To find your account's shared IP address you just need to log in http://heliohost.org/ Then along the left side of the screen there is a box labeled stats. Click "expand stats" if you haven't already, and locate the header "shared IP address". The number next to that is what you need to use for your A record which your account is set by default to use unless you change it. You can use this link http://stevie.heliohost.org:2082/frontend/x3/zoneedit/advanced.html to delete the invalid records, and make sure all of your A records (except for localhost) have the IP address that matches what you found as your shared IP address, and localhost will be 127.0.0.1

Since the A record is 199.34.228.58 and your MX record is fieldstationkids.org then all emails to any address @fieldstationkids.org will try to go to whatever host 199.34.228.58 is, not Heliohost. Once you get the A records straightened out the mail should start working too.

Let us know if you're having trouble getting the IP addresses straightened out.

Oh, the A records, right! The A records are set to the external addresses because I'm using an external webhost.

Can I set just my MX records to my shared IP at heliohost? There's nothing listed in advanced DNS settings as "MX" record, but there is a CNAME record for mail.fieldstationkids.org. Is that my MX record? Or is there a different place to set MX records?

Thank you Krydos for pointing me to the A records. It turns out that I also needed to chang my MX record to mail.fieldstationkids.org. (MX Records are edited with the "MX Entry" icon under the "Mail" section of the cPanel frontend, not with the other DNS records as I had thought.) Then the A record for mail.fieldstationkids.org points to my shared IP address on stevie. I don't know how to mark this as Answered, but I really want to thank you guys for your time and advice. Thanks.