I'm having issue with the following code:

use DBI
use strict;

my $driver = "mysql";
 my $database = "TESTDB";
 my $dsn = "DBI:$driver:database=$database";
 my $userid = "testuser";
 my $password = "test123";
 my $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $userid, $password )
		  or die $DBI::errstr;

At first I thought it was because I lacked the necessary Perl module for it, so I ended up installing Apache::DBI but when I checked the installed Perl modules I saw the standard DBI was included. I commented everything after "use DBI" but the error persists, which leads me to believe that it is something related with the lack of a module. However, all of the documentation I've read so far points to just needing DBI.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Once again, thank you for your time.

Thanks for the information.

Apparently the cause for the error is the "or die" part of the line. If I comment it, the site will display normally. While I can remove this it feels a bit odd discarding something that can show if there are errors getting connected.

Here's how the code reads after I incorporated the style presented in the tutorial Shinryuu shared.

$driver = "mysql"; 
$database = "-----";
$dsn = "DBI:$driver:$database:localhost:3306";
$userid = "---";
$password = "----";
$dbh = DBI-&--#62;connect($dsn, $userid, $password ); #or die ("Unable to connect: $DBI::errstr\n");  

Edit to add: Oh! Wasn't certain if the port was the same or not, my apologies.

I just looked at a tutorial using 'or die' as well, and I gotta say it makes no sense; 'or' is a boolean operator and shouldn't be used like that.. Try an if-else with an object comparison function to see if what is returned by the dbi connect call is really a database handle, it makes more sense.