[Solved] Unexpected Database Error - Mysql Backup Issue

K_Rivers

Hi

on the 12th of Nov around 17:00 GMT i had a mysql database mishap whilst installing an addon in my xenforo forum.

The Database is unretrievable in its current state from my perspective.

Lucky enough i made a mysql DB backup at 8:41 and a full site backup in the morning around 9:50.

when trying to reimport the tables of the backup into a new DB, i noticed to my horror that it was a partial download, only 774kb compressed..

So i compared a previous backup i made from the 7th of nov and the size was staggeringly different, uncompressed it was 33.7mb on the 7th of nov and the backup i made on the 12th in the morning was 9mb, the 12/11/12 8:41 GMT backup is what i need to retrieve.

I must point out that i renamed the DB i want to retrieve from krivers_prserver to krivers_prserver_old, created a new krivers_prserver and tried to reimport the tables from a previous DB i made on the 7th of nov.

I believe this partial download was through some error of my browser, and i didnt notice until it was too late.

What im hoping for is if one of the heliohost techs can somehow retrieve the backup of that mysql DB i made on the 12th nov @ 8:41 GMT? or perhaps a day earlier.

Like ive previously stated a backup made later that evening around 17:00 will be of no use as that is around the time when the db error occurred.

My Account name is: krivers

the DB name at the time was called : krivers_prserver now renamed to krivers_prserver_old

dont know if that bares any relevance

any help is much appreciated

Rivers

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT

so i seems to me that something went wrong with the backup on the server somehow, because both the partial mysql db download

and the fullsite backup download both have the DB's missing or corrupted.

As you can see below the backup selected is only 778KB in size made on the 12.11.12 and the previous one made on the 7.11.12 is at 4mb

mysqlb.png

Here you can even see the size difference between the full site backup, between the 11.12.2012 and the 11.6.2012 (mind the american dates and the timezone differences.) this size difference is due to the fact that all my personal DB's are missing from the full backup some how...

mysqla.png

the most recent fullsite backup ont he right is missing all its mysql db'ss

mysqlc.png

Seriously, what gives....

can a tech retrieve the backup made ont he 12.11.12 with the databases intact?

Heliohost does not create or save any backups of any kind for users, so the only backups of your database or site would be located in your home directory or downloaded to your personal computer -- if you created any -- which you have as much access as an admin to search. There is no recycle bin or anything like that where old versions of databases are saved. Once something is deleted or overwritten the old version is gone forever.

no that did not solve my problem in the slightest....

can you explain why the cpanel didnt backup my mysql databases!! this problem has been caused by this server, not me.

I took the precautionary measure to backup it up and the backup feature failed...e

explain that

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for your old data back, but apparently you are simply asking why the backup didn't work.

I have tested the backup database feature on several MySQL databases on Stevie server and after verifying the data in the backup everything seems to be working fine for me.

Thank you for reporting this issue. You can be assured that we will be watching for anything like this to happen again, and any cause that might lead to database backups failing. If it happens again or if you find a way to reproduce the error please don't hesitate to let us know.

I'm glad you were able to restore your databases with a minimum of data loss. It really does sound like you did everything right except verifying that the database backups were complete.