[Solved] Suspended: Arnabr

arnabr

Im extremely sorry for the excessive traffic and curl requests (due to which i think my account was suspended). A php page was serving as a phone number lookup page for my windows phone app "Tel Number Tracer". I had no idea about the amount of traffic it would generate.

Currently I have unpublished my app, so that it can no longer be downloaded. I will limit the queries to 5 per ip per day.

I do not have any backup copies of my site. Can u plz reactivate my account so that i can take traffic controlling measures?

username: arnabr

server: stevie

host: arnabr.heliohost.org

Your account was suspended for causing high server load. I have unsuspended your account, but please try to limit the load you put on our servers as it slows down not only your site, but the sites of all other HelioHost users sharing your server.

If you still see the suspended page, please clear your cache.

You can check the server loads at http://www.heliohost.org/scripts/load/images/server_load_stevie.gif and http://www.heliohost.org/scripts/load/images/server_load_johnny.gif

However there is no way for you to see how your individual site is affecting a server's load. You're probably correct in assuming the app and the traffic it generated is the root cause but if you have to throttle it, I think it'd be best to also track requests by IP and maybe ask for credentials from IPs making frequent requests, remember stalkers may abuse your service to track a person by number which could cause legal issues for you.

Is there a way to check the traffic? i had modified the script so that it will print an error message and exit, when average server load is more than 10%.

But now Im getting internal server error on all pages of my site since yesterday. I have no idea whats going on.

First of all there are more ways to have high load than just that one server load number. For instance during a DDoS attack that number would actually be very low, but page requests to the server would take a very long time to return data or they would time out completely.

The latter is the type of load that this particular account was suspended for. I'm not in the business of analyzing 20,000 accounts worth of scripts so I have no idea what's wrong with this specific script, but from the point of view of keeping the server functional for everyone it looks like this account opens connections to the server until it hits the maximum and then start showing 500 errors since it can't open anymore, and never closes any of the connections. As long as there are still plenty of available connections none of the other accounts on the server are affected by this, but as soon as all of the rest of the connections are also in use and this account has had the maximum number of connections open for several days or whatever then the response time starts to rise and the account is suspended to free up those connections.

Hopefully that helps you understand why your account was suspended, why you're seeing 500 errors, and how to fix it all.