[Answered] Url Works But Ip Does Not. What To Do?

epicmind

Hey guys,

My account has been up and running for a while and the URL works fine: epicmind.heliohost.org

But the IP address (216.218.192.170) sends me to an "account in queue" screen.

I want to forward www.epicmind.nl, which is a domain under my 'jurisdiction' to epicmind.heliohost.org, so I set the DNSs accordingly:

*.epicmind.nl and epicmind.nl (both type "A") direct to the above-mentioned IP address.

www.epicmind.nl ("CNAME" type) directs to epicmind.heliohost.org.

Nameservers are set up as ns1.hostnetbv.org and ns2.hostnetbv.org (I host at hostnet), both type "NS".

I don't really need to know why the IP address doesn't work but I want to get the forwarding up and running, so www.epicmind.nl and epicmind.nl should direct to epicmind.heliohost.org

Cheers,

Raoul

The IP address doesn't work to access your account because Heliohost uses shared hosting. That means that the IP address you listed above hosts literally thousands of domains. When you try accessing your IP address apache doesn't know which of the thousands of accounts located on that IP you're trying to view so it just shows a default queued page. If you access your domain by by it's name then apache knows which files to display to you, and everything works.

An analogy for this is like knowing the address of an apartment building, but not knowing the apartment number. There may be hundreds of people living at that same address, but unless you know the apartment number you're not going to get the person you're trying to visit.

The simplest way to host epicmind.nl on your Heliohost account is to change the nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. Once this is done correctly this link will show you http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/php/tools/dns_records.php?domain=epicmind.nl&rec=NS Then log into your Heliohost account http://stevie.heliohost.org:2082/frontend/x3/park/index.html and type epicmind.nl into that parked domain box.

After you get all that set up anyone visiting epicmind.nl will see what epicmind.heliohost.org currently displays.

Did you add your domain name as the "parked" OR "add-on" in the cPanel on the HelioHost?

If you'll add it as the "parked" it will point to the same folder where some other domain name already point to (ie. "epicmind.heliohost.org"). If you'll add it as the "add-on" domain it will point to the other folder (chosen by you).

Your DNS records are OK and will work. But only when HelioHost server will be prepared to accept requests for your domain name and this will happen when you'll do above.

You can you but you don't need to use HelioHost nameservers. It doesn't matter which nameservers you use if the DNS records on it are correct.

And... this will not be "forwarding", no any redirection will happen, your domain will just point to the same files as your heliohost subdomain. I guess you have exactly this in mind while using "forward" word.

As an addition to Krydos' explanation why you can't see your website while sending request just for the IP address without the host name - you can read about name based virtual hosts: http://en.wikipedia....ting#Name-based

Your DNS records are OK and will work. But only when HelioHost server will be prepared to accept requests for your domain name and this will happen when you'll do above.

You can you but you don't need to use HelioHost nameservers. It doesn't matter which nameservers you use if the DNS records on it are correct.

Yeah that's why I said

The simplest way to host epicmind.nl on your Heliohost account is...

I have started to write before your post, while I was checking DNS records and writing - your post has appear, so I have modified my words little bit for being somewhat complementation of yours. I think it does have a sense if you'll read at the beginning your "the simplest way is..." and then my "you can but you don't have to ...". Either way I think that main problem of epicmind is that he didn't told heliohost server anything about his domain name (didn't add it either as parked or add-on).

I had changed the nameservers to ns1 and ns2.heliohost.org, but then epicmind.nl got messed up completely and I couldn't change the DNS records because the host said "they are managed externally".

I have not parked the domain. Do I have to park www.epicmind.nl and its consequent IP address? This seems strange to me as I would expect the pointing at the host exclusively and not at Heliohost. But do I understand correctly that I have to change Heliohost to accept this incoming message, while the pointing at the host is done correctly?

Or, you say the quickest way to do it is to actually change the nameservers at the host (after which they give the "error") and then adding epicmind.nl as a parked domain? I don't understand parking so it sounds weird (like I said before, I expect my host to do all the forwarding/pointing).

Since the nameservers are set just log into http://epicmind.heliohost.org/cpanel then under the domains heading click the parked domain button and enter epicmind.nl and you're done. Parking is like ghosting something, everything is identically accessible, any changes to epicmind.heliohost.org's /public_html/ folder will apply to epicmind.nl.

Since the nameservers are set just log into http://epicmind.heliohost.org/cpanel then under the domains heading click the parked domain button and enter epicmind.nl and you're done. Parking is like ghosting something, everything is identically accessible, any changes to epicmind.heliohost.org's /public_html/ folder will apply to epicmind.nl.

But then I should set the nameservers on my host (hostnet.nl) to ns1 and ns1.heliohost.org, right? Because now, with the nameservers on ns1.hostnetbv.nl, I get the following error:

Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 91.184.8.20,91.184.1.10 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

The simplest way to host epicmind.nl on your Heliohost account is to change the nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. Once this is done correctly this link will show you http://byrondallas.h...cmind.nl&rec=NS Then log into your Heliohost account http://stevie.helioh...park/index.html and type epicmind.nl into that parked domain box.

Yes, that error is because the nameservers are still set to ns1.hostnetbv.nl and ns2.hostnetbv.nl

I had changed the nameservers to ns1 and ns2.heliohost.org, but then epicmind.nl got messed up completely and I couldn't change the DNS records because the host said "they are managed externally".

I got confuzzled here and thought he had set the ns.

But then I should set the nameservers on my host (hostnet.nl) to ns1 and ns1.heliohost.org, right? Because now, with the nameservers on ns1.hostnetbv.nl, I get the following error

yes, in the time it takes for the DNS cluster to update traffic request forwarding for epicmind.nl to heliohost ns's and for you to park the domain in your cpanel, all requests to view your site will be lost in cyberspace.

This is how the internet works: user types a URL in browser -> browser requests URL's location from local DNS -> if site was visited within 30 days, instantly respond to browser, else -> forward request to another DNS server, same as before, and this chain of requests keeps going until eventually a server returns the URL's location or the Time-To-Live (TTL) on the request causes the request to die.

EDIT:

To explain parked domains a bit better, when you park a domain in cPanel, the nameserver knows the parked domain(epicmind.nl) and any requests for information there = requests for your main domain(epicmind.heliohost.org), but the DNS records for your parked domain have to reference our nameservers for you to be able to accomplish this because only our nameservers know what URL corresponds to which folder/file in our hosting servers' directory structure, ie: epicmind.heliohost.org/index.php requests reference /home/usr/public_html/index.php.

Alright, I changed the nameservers at HostNet to ns1 and ns2.heliohost.org. I guess I have to wait for that to become effective and afterwards add epicmind.nl to my parked domains in cPanel (at the moment I get the error that the nameservers are not hosted by Heliohost and therefore I cannot park the domain).

To follow up http://whois.net/whois/epicmind.nl says your DNS records are set, so try to park now.

Not sure what's up with byrondallas, it's having DoS issues right now...

I was indeed able to change the DNS records again and my host now says they are managed elsewhere. I could now also add epicmind.nl to the parked domains of HelioHost, whereas I couldn't do that when the DNS records were still managed by my host. Going to epicmind.nl sends me to the "queued" page now, so I guess I have to wait for HelioHost and my provider to update?

Ah, that page means you are set, HelioHost is now your host and when our automated system finishes doing it's thing epicmind.nl will shadow all files on epicmind.heliohost.org. Cheers and best luck to your band.