Xxamp - Do You Use It?

Kevin99

Do you mean XAMPP?

Or is there something called XXAMP that I don't know about? (Google return only results with misspelled XAMPP.)

I use it on my Windows computer. And there is no problem with "install" (yes, in quotes). I've just extracted the content from the zip archive and here you go, it's "installed". All most commonly used functions already work after clicking "xampp_start.exe", just make sure your firewall will let apache and mysql to work.

I'll assue you mean XAMPP...I use it. I've never had any issues with "installing" it either. Get the 7-zip archive version and there's no install needed. Extract it, put the xampp folder in the root of a drive (e.g. c:\xampp), then open xampp-control.exe and start the components you need. Visit localhost in your browser to access it.

If it doesn't work right:

* Be sure you put the xampp folder in the root of a drive (e.g. c:\xampp). Don't try running it from the desktop or program files!

* Depending on config, you may get access denied errors on Vista/7. Run the control panel as Administrator, and start things from there. If things don't improve, disable UAC.

* if you have a Norton security product, turn off its firewall.

To get rid of it: Stop everything then delete the folder...

You're right - I mis-spelled - I'm very sorry.

No, I'm not trying to install XAMPP on heliohost! (Good Grief!)

I'm trying to work out if it's worth the bother with a redundant mid-spec pc and a slow upload internet connection as a backup.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm running wamp on a windows XP

1.86 Ghz Core 2 duo

1.5 GB RAM ( Started off with 512 ).

It runs great and all my scripts are tested on there before any uploads are done.

Slow upload rates will affect you depending on what you'll be hosting. My pages are usually a lot of html with an occassional image. I think it works okay for people outside the LAN. I usually use it as a test-ground for my scripts so no network involved, Just localhost.